H20 mellon's anise/shad bait...up to his old tricks again!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dinkbuster1, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think i have suffered the "wrath of the Mellon", like so many other BOC members have! last sunday morning i met up with Mellon to do a little channel fishing from my boat on the great miami river here in ohio. Mellon brought some frozen shad, but i found out today it wasnt "just your ordinary shad". we started out using the shad that he brought, fished for several hours in various spots, and couldnt get bit. Mellon did eventually catch a nice 8lb channel, but i noticed him reach into his cooler and pull out a peice of bait before casting that rod out. didnt think i noticed did ya? i was wonderin what you were up to! well, mellon knows that my sense of smell isnt quite back to normal since the fall i took this winter and i think he took advantage of my situation. that was the only fish caught that day, and since the shad wasnt thawed completely out he tells me "go ahead and take it home, re-freeze it and use it again". today Salmonid and i took a trip to the same location and i brought that shad, along with some of my own shad to use. we fished from 5:30pm to 7:30pm using Mellons shad with no hits at all, when finally Mark asks me if it might be because of the anise extract he smelled in the shad.... "i didnt put anise in them, these were leftovers from.......UH-OH"! i imediately took Mellons shad off and replaced with my stuff. by now its almost dark but we started getting all kinds of hits and ended up boating 4 fish before we had to leave. c'mon man, did you set me up or did you actually think that stuff would work?

2. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    at leaste he didn't hide it somewhere in your car so you could notice the next day :)

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well now, I think Mellon was trying to do you a favor.He sacrificed his secret bait, intending that his PAL would catch some cats! How did he know the weren't hitt'n on that stuff? :sad: lol
    Mean while back in the real world, I have had great success with anise soaked chicken liver on channels! :)

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats not excatlly the same story I heard.....

I heard all 3 fish were caught on Shad from who..... Yeap Mellon!

The only reason the 3 were cuaght was that they cant resist the Special Mellon Shad! :p

Something tells me this year is going to be blast fishing wise, even if we all get skunked. It's going to be "Blame it on Mellon"!!!! :)

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OH yea.... Dink if you think the ainse Sahd was bad, just wait unitl you smell those sinker I made for ya :) I put a little stink bait in the melted lead! :p

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The jury is still out, I think we "may" have taken one fish on Bryans shad but the other fish and hits definately came on Dinks Sumo Shad. What I do know is that my hands still stink like shad after 2 good hand scrubbings and a shower this morning, that is potent "FUNK"!!:p :p

As a bonus, I did land my first circle hook channel last night! so Im giving them a fair shot.

If the rain holds off or isnt too heavy, Im all set to get out tonight!! Brought the raingear.

Salmonid