H20 Mellon catches a flathead catfish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by flathunter, Apr 14, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man oh man, Mellon skunked me:mad: .But thats not the worst of it, we carried and drug my jon boat over 1/2 mile to put it in the river, what a nightmare...Bryan caught the only fish a 16-lb flathead on cut shad, pic below

Attached Files:

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    looks like he caught it in a hay medow.lol sorry you got skunked.im sure you'll return the favor to him next trip.my question . was he on time?

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He was early!!!! It was easily the worst trip we have ever had, took quite alot of effort to put that boat in at this location, never agin..The pics below are bryan taking a turn at the boat, and the location.

Attached Files:

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Yeah, they should have wash him off before the pic, the fish looked great though, lol. :D

Nice catch Mellon.

5. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Nice fish i just want to know why drag the boat that spot looks like some great bank fishing lol.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You have to use a boat to get to that location to bank fish, it is a awesome spot, but very hard to get to, by boat only.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we had to launch the boat on a steep hill, not bad, getting it back up was something else..Also carrying a big deepcycle battery by hand for over a mile is tough!

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    maybe you coul build an axel with bicycle wheels on it that fits in the front handle on your jon then you guys could just grab a handle and go. just a thought , of course i dont know the terain.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We need something or we wont be fishing this spot agin.

10. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    lots of work, but you landed a nice fish.....good job

11. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've seen a bicycle tire rig on a boat a couple of years back, on a j-boat for sale.It was made from flatbar stock shaped like an inverted J. Hooked over the gunnels and was secured with a c-clamp welded to it. The longer part had two stub axels with 24" bicycle wheels attached. The seller told me that putting it a third of the way down the length of the boat made it real easy to manuver it and it took rough terrain nicely.Using a rig like that you would'nt have to lug that big ol' battery. Just wheelbarrow it in the boat. I do'nt think it would cost much at all to make.
    Real nice cat Mellon has there. If there are more like that to catch there a wheel set up for the boat just might come in handy.

BILL

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to do things like that. lol Now I make sure I take a big thirty year old along to tote the heavy stuff. They are still at the age that they like to show off ! lol
    That is a nice cat Mellon caught, was it a fighter? or did the water temp slow him down?

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    OMG The end of the world is upon us!!!!!!!! LOL......THats a pretty good way to start the season out!!!! Way to go Bryan Thats a nice fish!!!!

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Nice fish Mellon, just don't look so excited next time, the smile almost ruined the pic...lol

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man, you guys are killing me over here!! Thats a nice cat!! Way to go guys!

Before I read it I was also thinking the wheeled canoe toter would work well for you guys, then each one of you grabs the front corner and away you go, the beuty of the wheeled toter is is you can strap it to the midline on the boat so it is balanced on the wheels making it easy to manuever.

Jack, the weekend is not over yet!! There is still time to recover....

Salmonid

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    hey flathunter,i just got back from fishing,you're not the only 1 who got skunked last night.i got skunked by a 2# channel.i didn't catch a thing last night.i don't understand,i tried everything!!! cut shad,cut skipjack,live and cut bluegill,shrimp,nightcrawlers,sucker,tadpoles all the way from top to bottom and everywhere inbetween!!! i just don't understand,there is some big ones in there but they weren't hungry!!oh well,there is always next time!!!!!

17. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Congrats on the flat Brian:)

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Somethings not right... Mellon has done nothing wrong and is catching all this grief...Mellon, maybe you ought to just sale Jacks fishing poles. lol That may get you some respect.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    man my arm hurt just reading about it. i dont know which would be worse the boat or the battery.

nice job mellon,congrats!

20. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas