GWC members and fellow Missouri catfishermen and women

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by theonecatfishbob, May 24, 2009.

1. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I spent the night at the Weldon Spring boat ramp Friday nite and watched several big blues come out with the trotliners. A 50 and a 40 were the two biggest. It has renewed my desire to see a one fish over 36inches law in Missouri. I would like for all of you to help me get it started. I dont know how to do a petition so I need help there. I would also like all of us to start talking to everyone we know to see how to go about getting this thing started. If we pull together maybe we can make it happen. All suggestions are welcome.

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm with you, Bob. I'm not sure exactly how to start a petition either but will begin to investigate. Whatever the course (except of course issuing wood shampoos) I will do all that I can to help out.

I see you can create a petition free at this online site
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/create-online-petition

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You can use the BOC's Catfish Rescue Petition which already has several hundred names attached to it. Most Gateway'rs names are already on there as well.

You merely need to draft a letter, (which I have already) and you can print the name list and attach it to the letter and launch it.

Give Chris a call and see where things stand as of now. Lemme know what you come up with.

4. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i will go with the petition go for it bob im with u 100 percent

5. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Thats great Cuz. Now this is gonna surprise everybody but I dont remember where the petition would be. Would you be so kind as to guide me in that direction?. I think I have to attend a commissioners meeting to present the petition. I am working on finding a date and location for that now. I am told it would be good if we had a number of people to attend as well as the petition. I would really like to get this going as soon as possible before I get a chance to calm back down. It really burned me to see a 50 a 40 and a 10 laying in the bottom of that boat. They didnt even have them in water. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I head back to New York today Bob, but I'll find the original letter that I wrote to the Conservation Commission. We can tweak it as necessary. I believe I had 600 signatures on my letter alone. I'm betting the rescue petition has over 1000 names by now. I'll get back to ya soon.

I can understand your pain at seeing the 3 fish dead in the boat. Imagine what Cuz was thinking when I saw over 10 thousand pounds of Blues meeting the same fate. :angry:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    http://www.catfishrescue.com/

Here is the website Bob. You can click on the Petition list (pdf) at the bottom. When we have our letter complete, (probably should let Chris view it) then we can copy and paste the names, and launch it to the powers that be.

IF, they set up hearings on the issue, it will be incumbent on we catfisherman to make an appearance and state our case. We dropped the ball two years ago. :confused2:

If anyone has NOT signed the petition list, please add your name.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
  9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was #31 on the original list. Tell me what i need to do and i'll help support this effort any way i can.

10. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hello Bob,

Just want to let you know that I for one (((agree))) with what you are trying to do,
    I am from Arkansas, but made a post and signed your petition, maybe we can get something like that started down here also,
    I have an applicaion for a Commercial Fishing License here right now, I wanted it for bait fish, it is to easy for someone to obtain a Commercial License, it only cost $25.00 bucks, it should be more like $1,500.00 there is no way that the state can keep up with so many license being sold, they can do as they well please,

anyway Bob, I wish you all the success in your effort.

Have a great Memorial Day

cliff BOC

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I'm on the other lists, but anything that I can do to help just let me know Bob.. I'm staying with my son but my address is Missouri now..

12. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i just put my name on the catfish rescue list and will do whats needed with urs bob if u want me to show up let me know the date when u get one and ill try to be there

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not sure if this will help but i'll contact the MDC and find out the proper avenues we need to pursue. Also Bluejays wife works for the MDC and i'm certain Joan can and will point us in the right direction. I don't know what to do but i can find out. like Cuz said, the ball was dropped before, if we drop it again, it's our fault. I'll be back with what i find out.

14. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont know but would it be best if the signatures were all from Missouri? I am just wanting to make sure we have our ducks in a row.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The truth is Bob, there are ALOT of anglers that travel from other states to fish in Missouri for the Big Fish. The rescue petition is a list of anglers that support protection of these fish, and believe in regulations that sustain these fisheries. After all, out of state anglers bring a very large amount of money to the MDC coffers every year. With more protection measures in place, it would only make sense that we should see a jump in the available numbers of large trophy fish, which leads to more out of state dollars.

Give our little buddy a call and get his opinion on this matter. If he thinks that it should just be Missouri Anglers, we can go that route.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bob, next regulations committee meeting is June 4 - not sure if it's open to the public or not, but I would imagine so. Link to that meeting is below.

http://mdc.mo.gov/regs/agenda/20090519.htm

Link to the schedule is here: http://mdc.mo.gov/regs/agenda/

They don't have any listed after the June 4 meeting, but I'd be up for a road trip to Jeff City for the next one when they get it listed. I'm in CA that day or I'd head over then.

I'm as torqued as you lately - had a guy show me pix of an 80# blue laying on his tailgate the other day that he caught on a line. Proud as he!! that it made two sink fulls of meat:sad2:

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I absolutely love fish. I crave fish, but who in their right mind would kill an 80# fish? Hell ya would have to have a wench to get the hyde off of it, even then it's lardy fat with a red line as big as a man's arm.:confused2:

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    And in many cases that lardy red line is full of highly elevated levels of Mercury. Like you, I say just let em go. :wink:

19. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I am awaiting info on the June 4th meeting. I am trying to find out if the public is welcome

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm not as much of a tree hugger as some might think after the disapearing CPR poll in the MO area (btw, anybody know why that got yanked??) and I like deep fried fish as much as the next guy - maybe more now that I look at my avatar:smile2: But I really don't see the need in a hundred pounds of fish in the freezer, whether it's from a couple of 50#s or from a hundred "eaters". There's only so much fish one person/family can eat. Yeah, I know the argument about the only way to feed the family, times are tough, yada yada yada, but from my experience fish you catch yourself, especially if a boat is involved, is a lot more spendy than what I can buy at the store:smile2:

Bob, if you can't make the June 4 meeting or want to go to another one later let me know and I'll be glad to meet you at the next one if the public's allowed. I'll even try to round up some other Westie's to make the trip.