Guys we have some crooks on our hands..

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadchris, Jun 28, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    I just got off the phone with my uncle.He went striper fishing last night and came home about 4am,and instead of putting all his rods[14 garcia combo's]in the shed he laid them on his porch untill the morning.Some one stole all his rods,tackle box's everything he had.He called the pickens county police department to report it and they said they have had 7 reports of fishing equipment being stolen within the last 3 weeks.So someones out looking for that gear.When i heard the news i went ahead and stored my little bit i had laying out.

BOC remember to store all of our equipment.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the warning.

Shame it's come to it, but I would never dream of leaving my tackle out in the open overnight.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yup, I try and put everything under lock and key these days. Very sad but true.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    What a shame. I hope the police have luck getting his equipment back.

5. ilkeeper1965

ilkeeper1965 New Member

State:
    il.
    I hope your uncle has good luck on getting it all back.

6. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    wow...14 Abu combos and tackle = big loss.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Hate hearing that. Be sure to check all the local Pawn Shops.

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    A good thing to do is wright down the serial numbers. I do on everything I have that has a serial number. I keep two copies in different locations.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You only lock your equip up from an honest person. A crook is going to steal it regardless. I was following a boat, two cars back, in a major city one day and the boat stopped at a stop sign and three men ran over and grab rod/reels/tackle and began running south. By the time the driver got off the road. The men were no where to be found.Opportunity???????:big_smile:

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Somebody should set a trap for them, bait with good fishing tackle./
    might be as good as fishing.
    Jim

11. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    If its not nailed down,better put it inside. Once had a johnboat stlonen. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

12. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    There is some SORRY A$$ People in the world

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hope they find those guys for once, I had all my rods stole outa the barn a few years back. All my big berkly rods and good penn reels, never did get them back but maybe since these guys are stealing so many they will get caught. I would check the pawn shops and check craigslist.com under sporting goods they have a lot of rods for sale on there sometimes.

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I hate a thief.
    Hope they get caught soon.

15. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    This is what i use to keep peolpe out of my stuff!!

[​IMG]

And if get by her i use a S&W!!!!!

16. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Sorry to hear about your uncles loss.

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I'm sorry to hear about your uncles loss. I had a friend that loss all his fishing equipment along with a tackle box out of his boat parked in the driveway of his home and the homeowners insurance replaced everything he lost.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I had some stolen gear year before last out of my locked truck. Thieves are everywhere, and they always have been and always will be around. One day I will catch one in the act and they will pay the price for all the ones who have stolen from me through the years.

While a lot of stuff in pawn shops is stolen, most of it is not stolen from the immediate area. Most of the professional thieves know that the local pawn shops are watched and monitored. Only the stupid thieves try to sell the stuff locally.

Here in my home county all the merchandise brought in must be registered with the county police and this is checked against stolen items reports. The pro's network the merchandise out of the area, since there is no system for cross checking for stolen items (outside of firearms) several counties away. The police told me that many items from our area make their way into SC, GA, and FL to flea markets and pawn shops.

Serial numbers do help, and engraving is even better. Engraved items with a drivers license number sets off a red flag at many pawn shops, and if the police find it in a raid it is easy to track the owner down for return. The down side is that if a thief can not sell your gear it will probably end up in their closet or dumped somwhere.

Most of these folks run in a ring and they have a good system for getting what the buyers want. They develop a pattern that works and repeat the process over and over.

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I keep my gear in my trunk. thieves are dispictable. I like the old eye for an eye resolution. to bad its not legal.

20. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Sorry to hear about all the gear being stolen,It sounds like they maybe sale that much stuff,Mite cheek e-bay SC.