Guys, the crappie fishing is GREAT!

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by channelcat_tracker, Aug 2, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    just to let all my local brothers, i went down to hazle lake in camanche, ia, and set some dead minnows in front of their faces ( i did this for three days. starting monday morning and ending last night) and they went CRAZY! i ended up with 57 crappies in about 7 or 8 hours of fishing. ( i only go for an hour in the morning and hour at night) they were the size of my hand and i caught one this morning that was 18 INCHES off of a orange jig head with a dead minnow. 47 crappies were released in a private pond i fish so i guess ill catch some crappies this winter for ice fishin!:smile2: :smile2:

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That had to be a blast!
    Bill

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Reckon that 18 incher would make a nice bait.

4. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    i wouldnt waste a biggun on bait! id rather use the smaller ones!:lol:

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That sounds like some pretty good fishing!

What type of fish were in the pond that you stocked the crappie in? Hopefully there will be something in there to keep them in "check". I did that a few years ago to a fairly new pond and the crappie completely took over the pond and now that is all you can catch is tiny stunted crappie. It shouldn't be a problem if you have some mature bass and cats in there.

6. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    the only predators in that pond are: 14 inch bass and some 12 to 19 inch channelcatfish. i dont want flatheads in their because they will severly decrease the crappie population. it is about a 3 acre pond and we do have 4 bags of 50 pound fish pellets full of protein. so the fish shouldnt be stunted. their are alot of minnow bluegills but other than that, their are no minnows for the crappies to feed on!

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like your having fun..
    But watch the pond that you put the crappie in. As they will take it over a 2 or 3 years. And not get very big.
    How deep were the ones you were catching?
    Pete

8. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    :roll_eyes: i get hungry thinking about crappie

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    sounds like alot of fun, but like everyone else says the crappies will take over a pond quick.