Guys in bear country

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CatfishHateMe, Jun 18, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    do you guys in bear country constantly look over your back when out in the woods? i would be a nearvous wreck out there knowin an 800 pound animal could be on a collision course with me, id never be without at least a .500 S&W lol i know ive kinda kept a close eye out on my back since that mountain lion got out of that big cat rescue place around here a few months back. and they said that they found 3 differnt sets of prints from differnt cats, so now im definately gunna start keepin a eye out for lions around here. is it that common to see bears/lions around places theyr more known to be? or do you guys just not worry to much about em?

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    We have Black bears where i live they average about 400 lbs. I have no interest in hunting bears, but have seen quite a few where i hunt deer. Ive never seen a bear up here that was aggressive every one that ive seen has run from me. The only time that i would be extra cautious is when they have cubs with them.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I worry more about my wife sneaking up on me than a bear.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I like my wife better when shes bare than a bear!!:lol:

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Jayson, I know that out west they teach the conservation officers to identify bear scat by the pressence of small bells, an the distinct aroma of pepper spray. I'd be more scared of the cats. I'd also rather be in front of someone with a S&W 500 than the one holding it....they should of made it a single shot. Bout all a fella can handle, an usually enough to last a lifetime. You may be too young to remember "Dirty Harry" and the 44 Mag craze. At first you couldn't find one, and then the market was full of them that had only been fired with 44 Specials. Borrow yer dad's 357 & yer good for anything in Indiana.
    :smile2:

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    never shot one, and dont think i want to after seein pics of cuts in peoples foreheads from the recoil. ill just use my dads .44 mag that he got because he was a fan of dirty harry:lol: im to young to remeber it but ive definately seen the movies, i love em to, "seeing this is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you have to ask yourself one question, do you feel lucky?"

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have been around black bears alot. I have hunted them for years and also worked 30 years for the forest service in bear country. Id be careful not to cross a mother with cubs, but thats about it. They are smart and wiley. Most of the time they can be around and you will never see them. For the most part they avoid people.

8. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    No, I dont look over my shoulder. I am kept aware of my surroundings. I have 3 kids, so yeah, Im paying attention. They mainly run from ya long before you're aware they were even there. If one does stick around long enough to make its presense known, Id be leary.
    When we went sledding in some back counrty last winter, we came across some lion tracks and I followed them to a near by stream. That was as close as I came to a lion to my knowledge. Never seen bear tracks. Back a couple months ago, saw a black bear run across the road a few miles from here. Bears come down from the mountains and get the apples on the school campus. If we carry anything is a .40 and its my husbands. I personally carry nothing. The only time I was wishing I had something on me was last week. We were about 9200 ft in ele. some deep woods and he ran back to truck for something and I stayed. All of a sudden you start hearing things:lol:

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    :lol::lol: We've come a long way since Dirty Harry!:wink:

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Shot my brothers 500 S&W on several occasions. It is a blast to shoot. Very hard on your hands if you dont have a tight grip. I would always keep your sense of surrondings about you in bear country. Then again living in illinois I am more worried about my wife. HeHe

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bears are all over western Virginia. I've seen two in my life and my brother a few more. We don't hunt them. They are very shy I think. The jury is still out on whether we have Mt Lions or not. Witnesses say yes and biologists say no. My hunting lodge in the Chaco region of Paraguay is lion central. They are shy also but we see several each year early mornings and late in the day as we are driving to and from hunting locations. In thirty years of hunting down there, I have never heard of anyone being attacked by a mountain Lion or a Jaguar, (plenty of those big cats there also). I love seeing them. As a young man in Paraguay, I shot and trapped a mess of them. Not any more. I wish one would set still long enough to have a picture taken. These are two I caught in traps back in 78. We turned loose the little one in the trap and the other I traded the skin for a bottle of homemade sugar cane whiskey.

Attached Files:

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    we got bears around here, but they are mostly small. however some push 400lbs. I had a small one walk under my tree stand last deer season. they seem to be afraid of humans and run off, i guess thats good:smile2: