Guys Im in DEEP trouble!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by channelcat_tracker, Jul 7, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey guys, i have a HUGE problem. well the catfish stop biting in july and i only catch maybe 1 to 4 cats in that month. well its that time agian and things slow down to an almost hault. well is there any bait that i can use to entice them to bite. i used cut bait today and spam and none worked. well i need to know or else i will FREAK out! :crazy:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

what time of the day are you fishing? how deep? And have you tried baiting your hole are changing spots?

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    In the summer months I use stinkbait alot for channels. As the water warms up the scent spreads alot easier. Cut bait will do the same thing. Good luck brother, fishing is slow here right now as well.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Channelcat tracker sit down take some deep breaths, Think happy thoughts. Now is that better? Okay quit jonesing. We all occasionally go thru catfish withdrawal. Don't panic, stay callm, the fish are just tired of playing right now. They have to go to summer school. The dumb oe keep getting caught and sent back. They will be able to play again when they are no longer grounded. See isn't that better. No. well then JJJUST GET OVER IT. and wait like all the rest of us. There its bette now I took some deep breaths and am thinking happy thoughts. try different types of water. If you have been fishing deep , try shallow. you know change your style. BUT PLEASE DON'T GO TO A $***LK. YOU WON'T FEEL ANYBETTER.
    i HAVE THIS FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. THAT WILL GO UNNAMED.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nothing you can do. Its just the way it is. LOL!! That whole spawn / post spawn thing is a pain, but it is like that everywhere. I was averaging 15 fish a trip in May and now it is down to 7-8.

Patience will pay off in the end.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I go thru it every July, you are not alone.

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I haven't been out but once for cats this month, and don't recall what last July was like to be honest... Seems to me that when the water started to drop the fishing improved for me! I'm hoping it will be the same this year, but I won't be living here more than another month or so, so I'm gonna have to find all new fishing holes after we move up to Redding. Seemed last year that the bigger channel cats stayed to the parts of the lake where the creek bed runs along the bottom, so I guess that's the kind of terrain I'll look for after I move. At least I'll have a lot more bodies of water to choose from for my fishing! :smile2: Really looking forward to having all that trout water close by too! Can't wait to really get the hang of fly fishing!

Anyhow, try sticking to cut bait or fish attractants with black bass oil and look for areas where the creekbed runs along the lake bottoms in your area. Having never had an ounce of luck in a river, I couldn't suggest anything for river fishing.