Guys I Really Think I Can Do This!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, May 22, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i really think i could do this. i have 2 220's and i know a fish can fit into it. i fish a little bridge about 10 feet from a spawning grounds with dogfish, carp and gar. Do you guys think if i can drop a 220 connibear trap down into the water and a fish runs into the trigger and i have a rope attached to the little loop for the steak. do you think i could actually catch a rough fish this way? i really think i can and i will try next april/march. would it be legal to do? because i never seen a law that said i couldnt do it!:lol: :big_smile: :cool2: now i think this is a serious question yet i laugh at asking. people laugh at what i think of but i think i can catch more this way than snagging with my rod. plus to add my chances, i can add bait to the trigger to attract fish! well i appreciate your comments but please dont say im stupid for saying this.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In most states fish traps of any kind are illegal.It is rare but you can catch fish in water sets,when after fur bearers.Hogs are bad about traps,even in water.I have stepped barefooted in a coon trap.Sure glad it wasn;t for beavers.peewee-williams

3. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Don't know about how effective that trap might be but I heard this rumor years ago here in North Carolina. Seems this old fellow had several homemade rabbit boxes set on the banks of the Cape Fear River near Fayetteville N.C.. One night, up the River from Fayetteville there fell several inches of rain in a couple of hours . When the old fellow went to check his boxes the next morning he found them covered by the raising water. After several days the water went down and he returned to his boxes. When he got to the second box he found it twice as heavy. When he opened the door on his box inside was a 25 lb. flathead cat. Now I can't swear to the truth of this as it was told several times before it got to me !!! Then there was the one about the coleman latern the man dropped overboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sitting here in North Carolina LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    This past season while running my otter and beaver line, I made a channel set for and otter which was coming out on the back close to a narrow spot in the channel. I submerged it in about 15" of water and guided or fenced off the set. The second day I had a 2lbs shad. I posted a pic of it in the Louisiana thread where I was posting our daily adventures on the trap line.

I will tell you what the old man that taught me always said. " Try it and see"

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've heard of (and seen pics) trappers catching fish as well as snapping turtles in bodygrip traps.

As far as your question, if it were me, I'd make a call to the local CO (be sure & get his/her name) and ask them this question...better safe than sorry.

Also, I don't think anyone here would ever accuse you of asking a "stupid" question, and there's nothing at all wrong with a creative mind........

Smitty

6. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for your guyses comments. at least im not laughed at here. the way i know i can catch fish is when the fish try to spawn, its about a foot deep and theres a barrier that they can not pass through. there are ALOT of carp their. the smallest i saw there was a 10 pounder! and lots of dogfish and gar. whell, if i put a trap in that big group of fish, its bound to go off and i sell the rough fish to a guy who i fish with. i charge him 1 to 4 dollars per fish and he uses them for fertilizer.:lol: