Guys I Just Cant Afford To Eat This! Look At This Post!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by channelcat_tracker, May 22, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ok here is what i believe in. i catch alot of channels. as you can see my user name says i am a great fan of the channelcatfish. so, i catch alot of channels. yet i love to eat them but i just hate to eat them because it takes them years to get to the size of an eating catfish. do you guys know what i mean? a 12 inch channelcatfish in iowa takes up to 4 YEARS to grow to that size. that is a very long time. but i just love their taste yet i just cant chop thier heads and skin off because i also love their beauty. they are the dernist pretiest fish i ever saw. of course my friends dont have that problem but i do. any help for my feelings towards these beautiful fish?

2. kittygitter

kittygitter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    well buddy i know wahtcha mean, I m the same way with deer mani love to see abig buck and his doe walk out in field and graze but if he is big an 8 out side the ear i m gonna shoot him and i can just let him go back in the water so yeah its a big diecision. But i love deer meat and i m also keeping the population down by taken two does for every one buck i take, widlife management one-0-one man. So mabey this will halp think of how many channels you cathc that are eaten' size around your parts. Okay and ty to come up with your own system mabey you take one out of every three to eat. And i do agree they are tastey and pretty. But the man upstairs madem' for eaten' not just beauty. Don't feel so bad. Ojay i got one more thing you can do look up thr breeding season for the channels in you r area and after they mate you can eat the good size ones. Those are just some options. But i know where your comen from. O yeah think of how many go uneaten'? Well Keep me updated on this man i hoped i helped
    :amazed:

3. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Hey buddy, god gave us dominion over the animals of the earth, including catfish. There's nothing wrong with taking a few for the grill. In fact, cats in the 12 inch class SHOULD be harvested because it usually benefits the population as a whole, especially where catfish are abundant. When you harvest these smaller cats, you are basically increasing the food supply available to all the other cats that live in the same waters. More food equals healthier cats that are better able to fight off disease and parasites. When cats have more to eat and are healthy, they also grow larger, faster, and are more successful at reproduction. So, don't feel bad :smile2:

Just make sure and throw back the big ones!

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    just close your eyes next time, but be carefull with the knife.... LOL!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If it bothers you that much, eat the farm raised fish from the grocery store. :smile2:

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    but the farm raised ones don't taste as good... lol

i have to agree that it does help the population overall... just think of how many cats really are in the water, and the good eatin ones are breeding and makin more... its a cycle that happens every year, so as long as you are tossin the smaller ones back and only takin what you can eat, than you have no reason to feel bad.

7. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    From what i understand talking to a SC DNR Fisheries guy, it is over population which is causing the slow growth rates. I have always done nothing but CPR, or CR. But after this conversation, i realize that is not the best idea. I will NEVER intentionally harm a big fish, but next time I fish the eater size ones won't all go back!. I'll only keep what we will eat, but i will do my part

:smile2:

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey John, just make sure you don't try to eat that plastic fish in your avatar! lol:big_smile:

9. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    hey guys thanks for your comments and i do feel better now that i now realize how many their are its just that when i fish, i only get about 1 to 5 channels so i think theyre arent too many so i toss em back but i guess i can eat some. fried cats are DELICIOUS!

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I know it's cold in Iowa, but 4 years to get from fry to 12 inches?!!?!!?!!? :eek:oooh:

Is that accurate?

11. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    it said in all my books that it takes them 4 years to get that big. i personally think thats a long time

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well a 12" channel in most parts run about two years.

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    John, two or three of him and his brothers get in my boat they are TOAST! What's that cats name...Sylvester has nothing on me when it comes to leaving a skeleton. I do the CPR as well as anyone, but that "you got my brother but you didn't get me" doesn't float here. Tasty little goodies!:0a13: :002: :0a32:
    Don

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    KEEPIN AND EATIN SOME DOESN'T HURT A THING. IN FACT I BELIEVE THAT IT HELPS.THEY ARE LIKE THE REST OF GODS CREATURES YOU HAVE TO THIN THEM OUT OUR THEY WILL BE OVERPOPULATEDAND YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS THEN SMALLER ANIMALS AND STUNTED FISH. SO EAT SOME AND HELP THEM THAT ARE TURNED LOOSE GROW BIGGER AND HEALTHER.DON'T WORRY THE RIVERS ARE FULL OF FISH. MIGHT NOT CATCH THEM ALL THE TIME BUT THIER THERE. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FEELING GUILTY. LEAST IT SHOWS YOU'VE GOT FEELING AND A GOOD HEART.:smile2:

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I usually give my eaters to my partner, his family likes fish, he still has 2 kids at home. My wife and I also like to eat a couple every now and then, but anything over 6 lbs is going back if I catch it. 2 to 4 pounders is what I like the best to eat.

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tracker,

That is a tough call. Fortunately, I do not face the same dilemma, the catfish here grow pretty fast. I guess you can just try selective harvesting.

17. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    If you don't like the thought of killing / cleaning them, then by all means, go with that!

However, if your desision is based solely on the fact that it takes 4 years to grow that big, then it is the wrong desision.
    If a lot more people would take down the population, there would be more and more bait fish and crawdads around which means more to eat which means bigger fish.

You taken out those fish is contributing to the bigger fish you really want to catch in the first place.

When you catch some of those big fish, those are the ones to let go.
    Eat the eaters.

18. Billbo

Billbo New Member

State:
    Andalusia,IL
    I personaly do'nt eat mutch fish but I luv cat fishing it's a great sport some times I'll give a couple to my parents but if thier 5lb or more they live to fight another day and maybe when my doughter is older we'll catch it again when it's a big boy:smile2:

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My grandfather taught me to hunt and fish. Here is the most valuable thing he taught me. Everything has a right to life...including us. In order for us to eat, something must die. The number one rule is don't kill anything that you are not going to eat! Unless you eat fish at one or two meals a day, every day, your not going to require a lot of fish. It's OK to keep a few for food. Just don't kill them to show them off and don't take so many that they will wind getting freezer burnt before you eat them. Leave the biggest ones; they are the best breeders. Millions of them die before they reach one pound. The few you eat won't destroy the population. 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. If most of us had to live off what we caught, we'd starve to death.

20. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    The #2 Rule is don't eat anything you are not going to kill! :waaaht: :0a33: