Guts??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tncatfishing, Jan 24, 2008.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Something I don't hear much of on here is fishing with shad guts and skipjack guts. I have used both about as often as other baits and it is messy and stinks bad but has produced good for me even for bigger cats. So who here uses them?

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I've used one form or another of critter's innards since I started fishing close to 45 years ago. Started out with chicken guts since I could get them
    for free from a neighbor who drew their own chickens. The target back then
    was big, fat bullheads from a tiny creek near my house. Shad guts are about
    the same thing: a little slimy but not really that much worse than a nightcrawler. You wash your hands a lot.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always put on a little skipjack guts and then put on a strip of meat behind the guts too help hold them on. Works good for me too. I once saw 2 guys catch over 100 nice channel cats ranging from 2 to 10 lbs. in one night. They were using a single shad gut on a small hook with a split shot and were tearing them up. I have never seen anything like it to this day.:confused2:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya aren't land locked and have access to costal marinas may I suggest this. When the fishermen come in with thier hauls and take care of them at the cleanin tables get the endtrails. Ya won't be dissapointed.

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    If I am doing good financially I will buy a jar and put them on the hook with my fresh, cut bait. Seems to work.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be sure to check the regs in your state before using guts from gamefish. Some states, like Arkansas, prohibit the use of any part of a gamefish for a bait or lure. So, we can't even use it for chum here. But guts are good bait. I especially like skipjack guts, because the main gut is large, for the fish's size, and extremely tough. Once you have stuck the main gut several times on your hook, the rest of the stuff may fly off when you cast, but that main gut will stay on your hook.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    jtrew check again.the way i read it is no fishing with any part is rite but it also says that returning the parts back to the water is ok long as you dont have a hook in them.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I remember fishing with my dad when I was young. He would go to the baitshop and buy the jar of frozen shad guts. By the time it was time to fish, it was thawed out. My dad would never let me touch the stuff. I know it looked bloody and smelled fishy.

We got monster channel cats on them.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Ya should saved all the carcases from them sea bass ya got. They woulda come in real handy in about six weeks.:cool2:

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    whyle growin up (if i did) we used mullett, got it from fishhouse, cleaned and ate the gizzards, fished with the guts. :wink:

didn't do too good but we tried.:embarassed:

11. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i use skipjack for bait alot and i think that the guts are the best part by far

12. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice dog:big_smile:

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:big_smile: