Gut sacks for Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Big Country01, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    has anyone tried using the gut sack from there cut bait fish of choice for channel cattin'....

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    shad and crappie guts are good bait for channels and blues.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, they do work great!:)

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes I have. Trout guts seems to work magic on channel cats. Caught a few double digit channels on them.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You best believe it John. I've got into Knife fights on my boat for that piece of bait! LOL!

And to keep it on the hook better, may I suggest some elastic thread wound around it a few times. Ya can get it at the sewin store Or better yet I get all mine from A/C Moore.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes fresh Shad guts work great for me on FLATHEADS. Dale "Dafin" taught/told me in the Chat Room.

If there are any beginers that want to learn lot fast they can get some fast, great info IF they go to the "Chat Room" and chat with the "guys that know" there!

Thanks Dale;)

7. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I catch shad in my throw net I always cut a few open- if there's eggs in em' I don't even bother with the flesh of the shads- shad row has provided me with some of my BEST fishin' in the past.

8. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    I dont know if it is just where you are at but,it seems here that even on a light bite the channels in this area will hit a gut section before others .I dont get the big fish here either though and the big fish huntermen may say go for the heads..

9. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've heard the same thing about the heads but I never use them. Sometimes I use a whole one but never just the head. I have found that sometimes the bigger fish prefer them live vs. dead. I don't know if that is maybe just the little ones aren't as good at chasin' them down.

10. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Ok, help me out a little here. I use shad a lot cut and whole. I have used the gut section of a shad but never just the guts. How do you rig just the guts without having the body section of the shad?

11. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I've never used just gut's. But I think if you would tye them up with fine netting that they use for egg sack's and Steelhead might work real well. I use it with Chicken liver in a red color and it work's good. I've cought 3 and 4 fish on the same sack. That screening come's in a lot of color's, I would think it would come in a gray or something. I think I'll give it a shot this year. The first thing I put on the hook is the head.

12. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I use gutsacks from all fish i clean. Wether from cats or crappie, they all work the same for me.

13. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I use shad gut a lot on my river and have had some great success with them. The cats just love em. I even tend to see that I catch bigger fish with them. They sell them frozen at about any bait shop in my area. As far as hooking them on work the gut, hooking it as may times as you can in any piece of it that you can. I use an eagle claw #2 baitholder hook, slide the gut up over the baitholder barbs, and put the heart on last. You will be amazed at how well they stay on1!!

14. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I use old nylon stockings to hold chicken liver and shad guts. I cut off a piece, stretch it out, put what ever I'm using in the middle, tie it up and hook it up. I've acutally been able to use the same "bait sack" for more then one fish using this method.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    do you tie the sack onto your line above the hook or do you run the hook thru the sack?

16. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I run the hook thru it. I use barbless hooks for this, other wise you will never get it back off without having to cut it up.

17. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I just put the hook through the sack, like mazdabob said there hard to get off. Here's something I also do, I make them in advance. I make the little sack's, put them on a flat surfice seperated they look like over size hershey kiss's and freeze them, after they are froze solad I put them in a ziplock bag and keep them in the freezer. then when I go fishin I just grab a few and put them in a small contaner (cool wip ) container, what I dont use I bring home put them back in the freezer for another day. Cat's dont if there refrose.

18. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I have used chicken livers in nylon wraps as long as I can remember. My Dad taught me that when I first started fishing with him in the 70's. I remember my Mom getting mad cause my Dad was using her nylons, most of them where new to her and she was maddddd! Here in Tennessee they sell alot of frozen shad guts and they always produce fish even in the slow days.

19. casey

casey New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    We use shad guts and cut shad (when we can get them). Here lately the frozen guts have had huge gizzards and roe sacs. Some of the gizzards we can cut and make 2 or more baits. We have been using some spawn sacs for the eggs. I use cheesecloth, the nylon polishing type. It works well but when you have to put on another it must be cut off. This cheesecloth can gotten at about any auto supply store and should be enough to last quite a while.

20. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have had all of those experiences, and I have to say that I think it really depends on the mood of the fish in the area. Some nights it doesn't see to matter whether it is the head the tail or the guts, other nights they will only hit the head and so on and so forth. If you fish enough rods, you can experiment and see what the taste of the day is.