Gut pocket?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kickflip484, Jun 19, 2008.

1. kickflip484

kickflip484 New Member

State:
    Ohio/Virginia
    I've been reading up on how you guys cut your bait up. But when your talking about bluegills and you say "gut pocket," does that mean you use the head and the guts. I guess i'm just not for sure what your talking about. I picture would be great if anyone had one.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the gut pocket is between the head and the middle it is the piece cut with the guts left inside

3. kickflip484

kickflip484 New Member

State:
    Ohio/Virginia
    So basically if i wanted to use the head and the gut pocket i would cut off the tail at the point in which the guts would be where i cut?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Obviously, it's going to depend in part on how big of a bait you want, and how big of a fish you're cutting up. When the baitfish is small enough, I like to cut from just behind the dorsal fin to just in front of the anus, cutting only a relatively small hole in the gut pocket. The idea is to make a hole large enough to let out plenty of scent, but small enough to keep the guts from getting washed out. This makes the bait last longer. On the other hand, I often use fish large enough that I don't want to include the head; then I simply cut 1"-1 1/2" wide steaks along the gut pocket. Of course, the guts won't stay there nearly as long, but it's still a very good bait. And I've simply removed the guts and put them on the hook, then steaking the rest of the fish for other baits.