Gut Hookin'

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Tros, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok... Maybe I am over thinking things, but for some reason I keep gut-hooking bluegill more often than not. Typically I am simply float fishing for bluegill (I enjoy the back to basics type of fishing for panfish). I have experimented with hook size and different types of hooks, but many times the end result is the same.

I've played with my ultra light and micro light (both with 2lb line) thinking maybe I am setting the hook too hard, then I played with different bobber and line weights thinking it would somehow help, but no luck. I even used a larger bobber than I typically do and used my circle hooks (Which I've recently come to enjoy) and still have somehow ended up with the hook all the way back into their guts.

SO... I figured I would just suck it up, and ask for advice. I enjoy fishing for panfish, and I've managed to catch some large ones, but the gut-hooking is something that's always been a concern of mine.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, I fish for the bluegill, and tilapia for Flathead bait,, and, I use about a #4 hook,, with about a 1/3 of a nightcrawler on it,, under a small pinch weight,, and a light bobber.. I let them mess with it, till they start to "Take it away" , and then try and set the hook,,
    I have about a 10% occurrence of guthooking,, but, as they're usually bait,, I just leave the hook in them,, and get another snelled one, and continue fishing.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gama makes a #8 and a #10 circle hook. Works like a charm. Gill hooks himself everytime. Give em a shot. :wink:

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I attach a small split shot directly to hook shank just below the eye dependent upon shank length and I've found it works for me. Good luck and stay safe!!!

5. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    try using a small long shank hook with about a quarter inch of worm and maybe a small split shot if you need it for casting and just reel in slowly, or if you really like using bobbers get the smallest one you can find and try to hook 'em before they take it under.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If your not into circle or khale hook's ..Just smash the barb down on your hook, You can easily remove it and the lil guy will live for another day:wink:

7. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    You might try this mini treble hooks for trout, they are harder to swollow, but sometimes a little harder to get out. You can also try using jig heads.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lmao nice avatar.:big_smile: l

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been using 1/16th and 1/32 oz jig heads for a while with good results. You don't need to add the split shot, and the lead head keeps most of the gills from swallowing the hook. I'm mostly fishing for bait sized little guys, so you might want to even size up to 1/8 ounce.

I just wish I could get the 1/16th with a smaller hook (when I want to fish a bit deeper and am still targeting the runts) and the 1/32nd with a bigger hook. Guess I'll have to get a mold and start making my own...

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Try setting your float a little lower to the bait. When the line from your float to your hook is too long and actually on the bottom, the fish will get gut-hooked. You can also try to use bigger hooks. Plus by using bigger hooks, it weeds out the smaller fish.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jigheads will prevent gut-hooking too!

12. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    I learn this from another website: Take a stick and put it down the fishes mouth till you hit the bottom then hold the line on the stick and spin the fish around,the hook will pop out when the line tightens up around the stick.:big_smile:

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my experience if a bluegill is getting gut hooked often you are not setting the hook fast enough. I have found that larger hooks will help but they will also cut down on the number of catches. I like to use a small hook with no bobber or weight and just let a small wax worm or small piece of bait float to the bottom and watch the line like your bass fishing.

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Only thing worse tahn a gut hook is ..a thur the eye hook:eek:oooh:That's why when i fish for gill's i ALWAY'S smash the barb down!!!!!! It's make's for easy release.

15. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I mostly use ultra light gear and just the bait when I'm lookin for little guys. Like stated above, just watch the line. My problem is I usually get 4-5 inchers even on tiny hooks. For bigger ones I tend to do best with Jigs, like in my avatar. No bobbers or extra weights.

16. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i went to bass pro and got me a little lure that looks like a hellgramite its about 1 1/2in and the bluegills and pumpkin seeds love it. i caught some of the biggest pumpkinseeds i have ever seen while walkin hogans creek fishin for smallies. i was catchin the same ones 2-3 times. i prolly caught 30-40 bluegills and seeds. more seeds than anything. and some of the biggest shinners i have ever seen 7-8 inchs long. and none of the fish were big enough to even take the bait but they were tearin it up. i hope it helps it helped me out. they with all they're crappie stuff.