Gut hooked.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SWeiss, Sep 21, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    :sad2:

I had a couple of taps and a short run with a live gill this weekend. I reeled in a bit, and felt nothing so I let the bait stay there.

When I was leaving I started to reel in and low and behold there was a fish on. When I got it in I realized it was a small flathead, maybe 1-1/2 pounds.

Well apparently I screwed up because when I looked down his throat all I saw was the tail of my gill sticking out of his stomach and the eye of my 8/0 circle hook.

I cut the line and released him, figuring MAYBE he would have a chance...

Damn, I hate when that happens. It still ticks me off that it happened.

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Ah, don't sweat it man, it just happens sometimes.

3. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    He may make it at least he has a chance

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anytime a fish is gut hooked the best thing to do IS cut the line, the fish will go right back out and swim, and the hook will rust out. Once completed he will be normal. Things happen bro.. theres plenty more out there. Cant dwell over 1 fish. Its happened to me more than I can count.:wink:

5. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    There is a process you can try next time if you could see any part of the hook. It involves going into the side of the gills, above the last gill and turning the hook. It's hard to explain but I've seen it posted on here with an illustration. Here is something similar, but the version posted on here was a lot clearer.

http://www.a-guide-to-florida-bass-fishing.com/gut-hook.html

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Shit happens Steve.You did the best you could,sooner or later everybodys gonna lose one.:wink:

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    good info Matt.

8. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    steve stuff like that happens bro i bet everyone on here has had it before no sweat atleast you did do the right thing and cpr and give him a fighting chance to live for the furture

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If I guthook one, I harvest it,,, and, it's usually a fairly small one,,1-10 #'s..

Ever notice the lack of fight in one guthooked? They're sick, hurt, and IMO will not make it.
    I don't use hooks that will rust out in a "few" days. I think folks say that to help other people feel better about sending a carcass back into the water for the turtles...

to me it's kinda like showing up in the ER with your lawnmower blade stuck through your guts, and the DR says,,, Walk it Off

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Steve,
    First allow me to say tha in reading your post I now consider it more of an honor to share some bank space with you. You have just proven, to me anyway, that your heart is in the right place. This was an accident and that is how you have to look at it my friend. Sooner or later those percentages things that Tan talks about happen-good and bad. Those are just the facts. Don't get down on yourself too badly. :wink: Take care!

Ray

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flatheads are very tough and hardy fish.

A hook in the gullet is not gonna kill me unless you try to get your hook back.

Cut the leader and let them go on their way.:cool2:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    gut hook could go either way , a judgement call. if you release or keep , just part of the food chain.

13. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Steve it happens to everyone at one point or another. Even this gail with her love to let it go to grow had at least one or two experiances with that. Normally what happens is that the small channel swallow the durn thing and it is near impossible to retrieve it without doing real damage. Also they tend to be bleeding before we get them on the bank. Sad I know.Just last weekend it happened. We tend to keep 3 or 4 lbs for eaters. One was a bit under but he had swallowed the hook to the max! Well we kept him and ended up give it to dad to grill whole. I hate it but sometimes it just happens

14. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thats fishing,it's bound to happen sooner or later.

15. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I'm sure you know what pain in the neck a circle hook can be to remove sometimes...

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have had the same thing happen with small fish this time of year. I guess as it cools down sometimes they eat and then just sit there.

There is always a chance that a gut-hooked fish will die anyway, even if you gently cut the line and let him go. I can tell you for sure, though, as my old boss used to say, the mortality rate in the cooler is 100%. If you are going to eat some, then take the gut-hooked fish home, but if not, then at least they have a chance...

We do our best, and that's all we can do.