Gut hooked using a circle hook.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by tswebb71, Nov 9, 2008.

1. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Yesterday I gut hooked a 21lb blue using a circle hook:sad2: I was upset. He was hooked deep and I was going to kill him trying to get the hook out. Ultimately, I cut the hook loose and released the fish. Is there ANY chance that he lived? My guess was no. What say you????

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95157

Personally, if hooked in the gut, I keep them.

3. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I would imagine, based on the design of the hook, that it wouldn't cause too much of an obstruction. They don't have a wide gap that would cause food to hang up or prevent them from swallowing. I've caught cats with 2 plain "j" hooks in their throats. Don't know how long they were there, but a couple were corroded to where I could remove them with little effort.

A fish that size should probably be able to pass food without too much difficulty.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If its a stainless circle hook not a chance. Out of curiousty were you bank fishing? If so were you tight lined? Ive had maybe one fish swallow a circle in 5 years, I always tight line. Hope this helps.

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I was anchored. The wind had blown me a little sideways and my line was slack. The bite was almost undetectable. I didn't think the fish was on. However, he kept pulling gently. I picked up the rod and noticed there was a fish on. He swam with me to the boat. I thought it was a really small fish until he surfaced. That was the first time I have ever gut hooked a blue with those 7/0 daiichis. I was extremely disappointed. I HATE to kill a good size fish. I guess the good thing is that wasn't a 50lber. However, he might have been there in a few years.:sad2:

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Come on,,,'
    If you gut hook'm , eat'm, or fine someone that will.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I usually keep any that are hooked deeply,If you put them in a live well,you can check on them,if they seem like they are gonna make it,you can allways turn em loose a little later,Better to keep one if its questionable than waste it.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    You should have kept it. Releasing a fish that may die is as bad as throwing it in the bushes. If nothing else,find someone that wants to eat it. I personally don't eat any over 10 pounds,but if it's gonna die,I would.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    rule of thumb i have cause i cannot eat fish that much anymore is this. if safely released and i don't want to eat, it's released. if gut hooked, it goes home. either to freezer to to a neighbor. i will not release a fish that has been gut hooked. also, if it bleeds, it's mine to stay.
    gary

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Was it an offset circle by any chance? Tests have shown that offset circles will gut hook far more often than the standard flat circles.

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
  12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I thaink you should had fish for supper , now that you let go the ? is did it live or did it die, nobody will ever know

13. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Well so much for asking it was an offset hook and that study was an interesting read, but here's a did you know for you. Did you know in England hooks have to be 70% carbon steel? The reason is so if you do gut hook a fish and release it the hook will rust out in 72 hrs in freshwater and 12-18hrs in saltwater. Sometimes I wish tackle companies here would adopt some of the foreign companies’ guidelines. At least gammi hooks are fairly high carbon steel and think most of the new eagle claw hooks are too.

14. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    High carbon steel would hold a point far longer too for sport fishing anyway. I cant see them dissolving that fast, but definitely faster than stainless.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont take any chances of letting a gut hooked fish go and then have to go off and then suffer,ill go ahead and keep a gut hooked fish and clean it and eat it myself of give it away.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Ever since I started catfishing seriously I've gut hooked probably 5 times the amount of fish on circle hooks as I have J-hooks. I'm using them properly, which with circle hooks I think is the problem sometimes. Instead of being able to set the hook when you first detect the bite you have to sit there and let them move off with it. Well sometimes they swallow the thing before they move off with it. The only time I fish circle hooks is in the river where I can't use clickers.

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've wondered lately about releasing a fish that's had a hook clean through it's skull.... I hooked one lately that way and when I pulled the hook out, a 10/0 Kahle, it pulled a lot of tissue along with it... I kept that one,, also, if they're bleeding a lot, I keep'm. Not even an issue with a gut hook, I definitely keep those...

Just wondering on other folks thoughts on the event a hook gets deeply embedded in the upper skull, or with the total penetration, ....

18. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I have seen photos of cats that were "Hooked through the Skull".:smile2:It's not a pretty sight when they heal. It looks like some kind of tumor or something. I've also seen where they must have been hooked around the eye and there hole eye socket became a ball of whatever. I personally do use circle hooks and have gut hooked a few, most of the time I was not paying attention and slack got in my line then it's too late. Pros and cons just like everything else.