Gut Hooked fish, Hook will rust out yes or no?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 7, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Something Ive always wondered. I havent seen any studies (not that ive looked to hard) showing whether this is true or not. Give me your opinion and facts please.

thanks

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Some say it's true, but In-Fishermen magazine had a small article on a more effective method. It was a step-by-step process on how to safely unhook the gut hooked fish. Can't remember what month it was though.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Yes some hooks will rust. As most ******** wont let u use silver or red hooks. Only the bronze colored. This way those ones do rust.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I agree completely.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    In most cases they will rust out,but sometimes if they are hooked to bad even if the hook would rust out the fish will die before it gets a chance to rust out,but that cant always be helped.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Yes, Most Hooks Will Rust Out Pretty Quickly From The Acid In The Fish's System, That's Why Even In Saltwater We Don't Use Stainless Steel Hooks.

I Guess You Are Always Taking A chance On Their Survival, But They Surely Won't Survive In The Cooler !!

7. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    one reason why i switched to circle hooks. very little chance of that happening

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    "Great question, for I was just wondering that myself today on alot of the coated hooks??

9. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    If the innards are'nt ruptured or torn , there is a good chance for survival. When I get a six to ten incher though, I will usually keep it to pan fry instead of taking the chance of letting it die and go to waste.Smaller fish are more active and need to consume more food to survive. I do'nt think they can make it by waiting for the hook to rust out before being able to swallow their prey. Just my own thoughts on the subject.

BILL

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I doubt any gut hooked fish survives, just think of all the ripping and tearing that hook does to the insides of the fish during the fight. I would say just keep a gut hooked fish so it wont die in the river. If you dont want to eat it, I am sure you know someone who will.

11. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Carbon steel hooks will rust out fairly quickly. Of coarse stainless steel, that's another story.
    Circle hooks were indeed designed to try and stop a fish from being gut hooked. If you should pull in any size cat that you have gut hooked, they advise if your not going to eat or keep it, do this. Don't even try to pull on the line to dislodge the hook at all. This is what causes the damage to the fish. Instead reach as far in the fishing mouth without pulling on the line, and cut it off as far back as is practical. The hook in the articles I've read say it will rust out in a week to 10 days due to the stomach acids with no harm to the fish. Of coarse I've never gotten the fish's opinion on the matter. :rolleyes:

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    we caught an 8 pound blue a few years back and kept it to eat. when we were cleaning it, we reaalized it had something hard in its tomach. we opened the stomach and there was a 3 inch curly yail grub on a 3/8 lead head. it looked like it had been there for a while. the hook was rusted real bad but was not gone. now i do not know if the fish swallow this lure while someone was fishing with it or he just saw it laying on bottom and decided it looked yummy. i generally will keep them if they are gut hooked. matter of fact when we are hybrid stripe fishing (catfishing but catching stripes instead)on bottom we generally catch so many that the only ones i do keep are the gut hooked ones.

13. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    A few years ago I caught a small blue of about a pound and a half that had a snelled hook with line completely out side the stomach wall, the hook had penetrated the fishes side. The leader was still protruding from the fishes mouth, it appeard to be 20 pound test (wally world special) I too had gut hooked this fish, it appeared healthy, even with the hook dangling from it's side. I figured the fish had survived this long it would probably survive the fine wire hook and 6 pound line I was using, I clipped the hook loose from it's side, reached as far into the gullet as possible, clipped the big line clipped mine and turned it loose. Hope that fish grows to be a hundred pounds and lives a hundred years. I have caught other fish with hooks embedded in thier stomachs and they obviously were still feeding. I have caught many white bass with hooks/jigs in thier stomachs.

14. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Well mainly this is more of a Ive always wondered than anything else. I only fish with circles now, except for panfish. If i guthook a bream i always eat him