Gut hook with a circle hook?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Chris R, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Chris R

Chris R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Had a first for me...

Was cattin tonight in farm pond fishing will filet o' bluegill on a circle hook. Caught several cats in the 5 pound range and a bass about 4 pounds. At any rate, one of the cats was gut hooked. What is weird though is that I was completely tight lined and had absolutely no indication of a hit except that the line started moving to the side. I started reeling in expecting the hook to do its thing in the corner of the mouth. I get the cat in and it was gut hooked. I have never had that happened before. Is this unusual or did I just happen to get a cat that decided to swallow as soon as it inhaled the bait?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    even with a circle hook i have had this happen if they dont run

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Have gut hooked several flatheads with circles, they hit the bait then just lay there and swallow it. Is pretty neat watching the solar trilene bouncing up and down with a black light, you know the flat has the bait in it's mouth but the hook hasn't made the corner............so you either wait for the fish to turn or try the old rod sweep thing. Neither has been worth a crap!!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    gut hooked with a circle is very unusual, but anytime they eat the bait and just sit there and swallow, this is a possibility. There is really nothing you can do to prevent it. Congrats on a good fishing trip however and good luck in the future

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Never had that problem but the hook is designed to pull to the corner of
    the mouth when the fish moves away. If the critter inhales and swallows,
    there isn't much the mechanics of the hook can do for him. The fish has
    elected to be dinner since the hook will certainly puncture his gut in
    several places on the way out if you let him loose. That would be a
    slow painful death I wouldn't wish on a worthy adversary. You know
    that the first hook cavemen came up with was a device called a gorge?
    It was meant to be swallowed and turned sideways in the stomach
    when you pulled on the line. That was before CPR, of course...

6. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hasn't happened to me until this last weekend! Had 5 or so gut hooked with a circle. Sucks b/c don't know if you wanna cut the line or go ahead and keep em.

7. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    gotta agree with you keith i was using cricles for a long time and gut hooks alot of channels but now i use the kahle hooks and gotta say have not gut hooked one since and have caught alot more fish they hook alot better than circles imo..

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer the Kahles also.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Kahles are just the best of both. You can tight line and let them hook theirselves if they are aggressive, or you can pick it up and wait till they pull it tight and hammer 'em.:smile2:

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    personally i put circles on before i go to bed. if im up all night (which is unusuall) ill keep a standard j hook on. never had one swaller a circle hook though

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i ran a small trotline at the lake a couple weeks ago and was using 6/0 eagle claw circle c's and using 4-6'' crappies for bait. had it set on a cliff edge and had 2 smallmouth bass inhale the crappies and get gut hooked. i have no idea how the bass even got the crappie in their mouth. the bas were maybe 13'' long and one of em died. first time id ever seen anything like that.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    There aint a hook made that wont gut hook a fish. Circles gut hook the least. If your gut hookin fish your letting fish inhale and he isnt moving. Kahle's gut hook way more than circles, then j-hooks then treble hooks. Most people who cant handle a circle will fish a kahle. Circle just take more time to learn.

-Jim-