gushing spillway flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 15, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    spillway flats are alot more difficult but i posted this a few times but i want to be more specific i fish a dame that gushes alot of water out thats of a smaller lake it holds alot 0f 40 pounders, were should i position the bait in the corner wall or out in the white water also the poll bends down so hard from the current u cant tell if its a bite, also its rebar underneath, so moving around will loose me alote of tackle, tell me how to snatch them lazy cats up, , why wont holding flats move off with your bait, in my lake they just bend the poll and i drag em in but the spillway they are plum huge and lazy, any exert advise i repeat expert spillway fisherman, thanks

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads like to position themselves in areas around current. Current seams, break walls with eddys off the main flow will be best! They like to be able to ambush, and wont hang in the hard current long. Find the seams and breaks and you will find the flats! rollo

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Also watch for where the water comes back around making a circle motion in the water . Fish right in the middle of it , should be a cat or 3 there .

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Cast out to the end of the wall and let your bait hold there. Just on the slow side of the wall. I have caught numerous flatheads using this technique. Ill cast to the end of the wall about 2-8 feet from the end of it and let it set for a while the cats should be there. You might have to use some pretty heavy weights to keep your bait from moving around on ya but thats just part of fishin in fast water. I caught my personal best flathead using this technique, three years ago. Good luck and let us know how it works out for ya.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If there is a good eddy or 2 try that with a large slip float rig ( I use soda bottles ) set the rig where it rides right above the rough stuff. I if you want to fish hard on the bottom use a 3 way swivle or a slip 3 way with old sparkplugs with the prong smashed down and held on the line end with a splitshot. Big cat grabs it moves a lil and it pulls free or you can pull it free. Trick is setting it high enough to keep the bait and hook out of the snags. Hope this helps or gives you some ideas. Rough water and rough bottoms ya got to think outside the box lol :wink:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how do u know wen there on , if they dont take off with it

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slikk you can try "walking baits". This is an active way to locate cats. The trick is using a light enough sinker where you can lift and drop your rod tip up and make the bait drift, and sort of bump the bottom in the current.
    Try to find some current that you can use to present your bait as if it were naturally moving along the bottom over humps and holes.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the advise ill use it, but rebar, might pose a big problem with the walk bump thing, but im wondering if i should even bother fishing in a dam with rebar crossing it, , i mean how would you get it past the bar

9. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Hmm that might be some of the stuff I was getting hung up in yesterday. I noticed some old rusty rod-like material along the bank of this new spot I found. I caught 3 fish (2 Flatty a 8 and 12 lb) and 1 channel cat but lost 3 due to getting hung up after they were on.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    bi dont know if its worth it, im not kidding you i was walk buping my bayt my drag was loked i almost got pull in, it was so big , ill bet 60, it was draging me i braced myself and couldent loosen the drag or the poll would be gone, right at a deep spillway

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    What spillway are you fishing? What about a slip bobber set up like mentioned, but set it up with a 3 way system and use a drifting weight design of wire 12+ inches long or what ever to bounce over the re-bar..... if you know your gonna loose your weight set up, make it to your advantage, let the weight get stuck on the re-bar allowing you bait to drift over it, when you set hook you break off the weight lead line at the same time which would allow the rest to be free above the bar?

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Another tactic to try but only happens a couple times a year. Contact your city inspectors office and ask what dates they are planning on doing maintenece on the dam, they will usually turn the water flow to a dead stop when they do this so you will get a chance to see what the bottom actually looks like "snags, holes, ect" and it is the best time to fish when they do this.... It will take a day or two "depending on the size of the dam" for the water to get low enough to see whats on the bottom. This will allow you to get a day or two of some great fishing.

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    So are you saying you tried walking the bait and hooked a biggun? This active approach will target active fish.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In really rocky stuff with rebar and junk on the bottom, I tie my sinker on with light line and a long dropper. I hope for snags. Then just break it off when, and if you get hung up.

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'll at times will take it one step more and use the light line and when I get hung up I let it set there. after 20 mins or so I will then brreak off and put a new weight set up on it then I cast to the location I got hung up and then let it drift till it gets hung up again, and so on.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a good approach.

Also sounds like a good tome to use freebie sinkers like old spark plugs and rusty old nuts and even small rocks tied up in string!:wink: