Gunterville lake

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jross1901, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    my father recently moved to douglas,AL and he loves to cat and crappie fish on this lake.

for crappie he catches plenty of the from now until dec., funny thing is he struggle in the spring when the bite should be the best.

anyhow, i love some info on how to fish this lake for flats and blues. so when i visit, i can catch my fisrt blue.
    any info helps, maybe some abuot the dam as well.

thnaks for looking and safe fishing to all.

2. Blue Hawg

Blue Hawg New Member

State:
    Decatur, Alabama
    try the mouth of brown creek....the actual last few feet of it as it intersects with the river channel. fish the brown creek channel basin. Brown gets as deep as 42' at this edge and then drops off into 54' river channel.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Jross,

I grew up in Douglas...graduated from Douglas High in 89. I also grew up fishing Lake Guntersville. The lake is so diverse, there are many different approaches. Will you be bank or boat fishing. If you just want a mess of 3-15 lb blues and channels, fish around the barges at Wayne's Feedmill. TYou can fish this from either the bank or boat. If you want big blues, use fresh bream or shad on slip floats set about 5 ft off them bottom. Bounce around the lake (20-45 minutes per spot).

Boat only - Go to the steep rock cliff on the Huntsville side of the Hwy 431 big bridge. Hit the rock wall with your bait and let it sink...it's very deep....Hold on!

Flatheads - Never even knew about them growing up. I am dying to go back there and try. I went last summer and put out 30 or so limb lines arounf the stae park with no luck.

Give me a ping and let me know how you do. I have a brother that lives in Albertville that would love to have a fishing partner. He has a boat.

4. THEBIGONEGOTAWAY

THEBIGONEGOTAWAY New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey a great place to catch some monster catfish is below guntersville dam on the Tennessee River side. I don't know if you can still go up under the dam with a boat or not, I haven't been over there yet this year, but two years ago I caught a 63lb Blue cat up under the dam, thats my personal best. But everytime I have been over there I have always racked up on some fish. I've hooked some monsters under there that would just take off with your line and when you set the hook he just keeps goin, and I have my reels lined with nothing less than 30lb Stren Superbraid.

5. bullet

bullet New Member

State:
    alabama
    how do you get up under the dam? ive been there plenty of times????????

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Going out SUNDAY!!! Anyone want to go!!

7. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Allen,
    First let me welcome you to BOC. I live in coastal South Carolina, Our Santee Cooper lake system also has many giant blues, my PB is 67 pounds. However I have always heard about the Tennessee river giant blues, I have family in Huntsville so maybe my next trip I can bring my boat and try below the dam as you described. Thank You!

8. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    thanks for the advice guys. i really appreciate it.

i havent been on in a while. hopefully headed dwon south in a couple weeks.

thanks again.