Guntersville Dam Tennessee River

Discussion in 'ALABAMA RIVER TALK' started by huls1, Jan 6, 2008.

1. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    any one fish below guntersville dam, have caught several large blues and a few flathead

2. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have never been there , but i would like to try it out someday.

3. Coosa_Cat_Man

Coosa_Cat_Man New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have tried Guntersville Dam a few times, however, I have had better luck at Wheeler Dam for big blues. To me Guntersville is a waste of time I would rather spend 30 extra minutes and go to Wheeler Dam. However I am in a great location now on the Coosa River, 10 minutes from Logan Martin Dam and 20 minutes from Henry Neely Dam.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    David are you on the north logan dam? Have you had any luck with the big ones there? I have fished that dam once. Are you using a boat or fishing from the pier at the dam? I fish logan all over and have been really wanting to try that dam. I usually fish the bottom side of the south dam on logan and do really well.

5. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    I also wanted to invite everyone to come and put your 2 cents in:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Fisheries Section
    January 7, 2008 334-242-3471

MEDIA ADVISORY

Public Meetings on State Catfish Regulations to be Held

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division will hold two public meetings to discuss catfish management and solicit input from the angling public.
    The meetings are open to the public and will be held:
    January 15, 2008
    7:00 p.m.
    Colbert County Board of Education
    1101 Highway 72 East
    Tuscumbia, Alabama 35674
    For information, phone Keith B. Floyd, 256-353-2634.

January 16, 2008
    7:00 p.m.
    Guntersville Senior Center
    1503 Sunset Drive
    Guntersville, Alabama 35976
    For information, phone Dan Catchings, 256-831-6860.

Biologists will discuss results from current research on catfish in the Tennessee River and management implications. Input from the public will be invited.
    For additional information, contact Keith Floyd at 256-353-2634 or Dan Catchings at 256-831-6860.
    The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through five divisions: Marine Police, Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. To learn more about ADCNR, visit www.outdooralabama.com.

6. Coosa_Cat_Man

Coosa_Cat_Man New Member

State:
    Alabama
    James
    I am north of the dam in Riverside, I have only fished the Logan Martin Dam about 6 times there hasn't been much going on but I haven't fished it since we got rain, when the turbines are running at the Logan Martin or Neely Henry dam I rather fish above it so the bait scent will flow down the main river channel, usually the rod I have out furtherest downstream is the one that get hit from cats following the flow of the river upstream. (Just a little tidbit of info I figured out) I do all my fishing from the bank, docks, piers basically anywhere I can get to the water and get a good cast out.
    David

7. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    Yeah the only time I fished that dam I was in my boat and it really got shallow around the dam. I figure the next time I go that dam I will just try from the bank or around the pier where the water boils in. Thanks for the info.

8. Coosa_Cat_Man

Coosa_Cat_Man New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, below the dams on the Coosa River is shallow even with the turbines on and below Logan Martin Dam. I have caught some good stripers below Neely Henry and Michell Dam with the water running.

9. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    Yeah, now if you are looking to catch some nice stripers, you can go to the dam on logan martin and when they open those gates the stripers are attack happy. Me and my brother caught our limit several times in just a short period of time but you have wait til the gates are opening and then it is on. You can call 1-800-lakes-11 to see when they are going to open the gates and schedule your stripe fishing accordingly.

10. Coosa_Cat_Man

Coosa_Cat_Man New Member

State:
    Alabama
    James
    Yeh, I dial that Lakes11 # religiously this is basically what I use to plan out my fishing trips. I like to get there about 30 minutes before they turn the water on if I am fishing below the dam and I get everything ready then start fishing about 30 minutes after the water has been running and everything settles down.

11. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    yeah, if you are fishing the dams that number is a must have. I think I am going to the riverside area this weekend and try it out on Logan. I will let you know how it goes.

12. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i've fished the guntersville dam a few times.(my father lives in douglas,AL)
    we have done decent and have caught some nice flatheads and channels, but no blue cats.

we always fish near a creek(maybe paint rock or something, i can't remember the name), and do decent.

we also fish near short creek and town creek and do well on channels and some flats, but mostly fish under 15lbs.

i'd like to find some spots for blue cats. or just good areas in general.
    seems as if the one blues we catch are under briges fishing for crappies.

13. CATFISHERMAN001

State:
    ALABAMA
    James, the reason you are having luck with blues when fishing for crappie or bridges is because the blues tend to stick to deeper water. If you are fishing the creeks for channels and flats, you should have luck with that but if you want to catch blues you will have to fish the river channels and trailraces. Good luck with it. Keep us informed on how you do. To give you a good place to try for blues on Logan Martin. Try around Riverside Marina.

14. vacatfishin'

vacatfishin' New Member

State:
    VA
  15. bamawhiskers

bamawhiskers New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have caught a few standing on the wall at the dam. nothing big but all on skipjack.