guntersville and wheelers

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by yellingrebel78, Jan 24, 2010.

1. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    Got a question has any of yall ever fished guntersville or wheeler's lake if so I was wanting to know if my boat would be big enough for them I have a 15 ft deep v with a 50 hp merc. I'm not that far away from them 2 hrs from guntersville and 4 from wheelers and since I'm not that far I want to fish one of them if anybody could please let me know thnks

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    sure it would be fine on a good day , dont care for any boat on it on a bad day lol

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    You can go to the TVA site for the generating scedual and on the days where they are spilling "which is a lot lately" or really generating a lot of water I would not make ther trip, but on normal days you should be fine,,,
    my .02
    Puddle

They where running 15,000 gps when I took that pic and there where 15' wash out in the middle of the spill gates...http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?128871-Help-with-Guntersville-Dam-dangers

The TVA site
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=GUH&DataType=All&submit=View+info

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ops,
    Thats 115,000 cubic feet per second,,
    and the wash was 15' high
    Puddle

5. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    thanks if I get to go it's going to be later on in the year when I do

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would make sure you've got a workin' bilge pump too. The wake off of some of the bigger cruisers and barges is crazy sometimes if you're anchored, and will really rock the boat causin' water to come over the back of the boat sometimes, even on my 1860.
    The flow (cfs) when you go and where you go has a big impact on the current. 50,000 cfs below the dams is a lot of current, but at the lower ends of the lakes it isn't that much. I don't go below the dams if the website says they are spillin' either.
    I think you'd be okay with a deep-v, but I would check the website and know the conditions beforehand.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    That's great advice. My goodness, those big cruisers are a nightmare for sure, and they don't always slow down either. Last weekend one went right through a group of much smaller boats. I kept telling Tricia, "he'll slow down". Well, he never did and those waves were huge!

8. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    another thing is the fish hard to find there. How far do you got to get out . I only got two 6 gal tanks and it's a older merc. and not cheap on fuel it loves drinking it

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm sure there are good places close to any ramp. I only have a 12 gal. tank, so I think you'd be okay.

10. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    thanks I'm going to make a trip over one weekend and look around first before I take the boat

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Go across Hwy 35 and put in at the bridge at scottsboro. My son fishes bass tournaments out of goose pond and always catches some big cats on crank baits up around the bridge. Your boat will be fine anywhere around there and if boat traffic gets bad there are lots of places to get out of thier wake and have good fishing.