Guns

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DIESELkat, Aug 24, 2008.

1. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    What make and model scattergun do you use for waterfowl?
    Also, do you use factory chokes or aftermarket?

My current widowmaker is a Remington 870 Supermag w/ a 30" barrel and a Briley choke.

2. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Stoeger 2000, stock mod choke, 12 ga, 3"
    Son shoots my Mossberg 500 in 20 ga.

Q

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Been using a Ithica Mod. 37 12 ga 3" field grade with a 30" bbl and factory screw in chokes since 1982,No reason to change now.I bet I have killed 1000 Greater canadas with it.

4. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I have 2 that I use. Fisrt is a Benelli Nova, with a Carlsons long range tube in it. The other is a Baikal MP 153, with the factory full extended tube. Both guns pattern extremely well with these tubes and steel BBs, which is what I shoot geese with. Over decoys for ducks? Nova with the factory cylinder tube. wWith steel 2s or 3s it just murders mallards! And it carries a good pattern to around 40 yards. Been shooting a lot of Win. Expert 2s at ducks, and BBs at geese. Kills them as dead as anything else, and being cheaper I get to hunt more!!!!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot a Benelli SBE I for everything from ducks to geese to swans to deer to phesants to dove to pigeons. My old Benelli has over 100,000 shells put through it as a rental gun in Paraguay. I have retired it to hunting stateside where at most it gets 10 boxes or this and that shot through it each season. I am longing for a new Benelli SBE II with the comfort tech stock. Supposed to reduce recoil 45%. I want to give it to my 13 year old boy to hunt with. He is using a browning A5 20 gauge now. The benelli 20 gauge was beating him up to bad. It beats me up also. I detest that gun shooting anything but the lightest dove loads. Kicks worse than any gun I have ever owned.

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Definately a wide variety of guns. Glad to see some Ithica's still bein used. Ive heard as far as the SBE's are concerned that you either get a great one or a crappy one. My buddy bought an SBEII last year and has already sold it. It was jammin up on him pretty regularly and he finally couldnt take it any more. Im not puttin Benelli down, they make a great gun for sure, just lettin ya know. I think my next shotgun is going to be a Mossberg 935. Ive never been a Mossberg fan but the 935s are one sweet machine. I love my 870 and they are bomb-proof. Plus its getting hard to find a new shotgun that you can get with a 30" barrel. 28" is the shortest I will go with and it looks like if I get a new one Im going to have to go with a 28". The absolute worst is when your in a blind with someone shootin a 26". Feels like theyre shootin right next to your ear.

7. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I shoot a bps 10 for honkers kicks like a horse but it puts the hurt on them. I also just use the factory choke but have thought about getting a different choke. Dont know for sure what one. If you guys have any suggestion i am all ears. Dont really get into ducks that much. On occasion ill shoot one when they fly over the goose decoys but that is about it.Good luck to all.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my main killer is a 3" remington mag in 12 gauge. then the mossy 88 or 5ooA. i use factory chokes on all of them, and drylok steel. i might have to go with the xpert this year as well.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    870 with stock IC choke. Kills ducks and geese no problems.

10. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    My primary waterfowl weapon is a 28" 12 gauge Benelli Nova. She is chambered to take 3 1/2" shells and performs at her best when using them if you can stand the mule kicking the fire out of you for a morning. I often shoot 3" shells to cut the recoil but she loves the 3 1/2s in #4 shot for ducks. I use the factory modified choke tube and it works as well as I shoot. The Nova is a bonified beater, I have done bad things to shotgun and she just keeps on shooting. I have been completely satisfied with her.

"Hold the weapon, feel the weapon, caress the weapon until it becomes a living breathing extension of yourself"

11. duckaholic

duckaholic New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Browning A-5 or the bps in 10ga.:wink:

12. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I shoot a Beretta Extrema 2 with the kickoff stock. This is the softest shooting 12ga and most reliable gun I have shot! I have been a full time wing shootimg guide for 3 1/2 years and have run an a$$ load of shells through it. I shoot everything from 7/8 oz Kents to 2 1/2 oz Golden Phesant Turkey loads though it and it never fails! As for goose shells I love 1 3/8oz, 3 1/2 inch Kent BB's at 1550 fps through improved modified choke. IT FLAT HAMMERS EM DEAD! For ducks, I like 1 1/4 oz, 3 inch Federal Premium #2's at 1450 through the same choke. I hope this is a good sign of whats to come but as of Aug 23 I have already been seeing groups of teal as large as 50 birds in NE KS. It is getting my blood flowing! Good luck to you all this season! Here are a few pics from last season.

Attached Files:

13. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As with most of us I have several Waterfowl guns.
    It seens like as the seasons roll by my heritage guns get more and more action.
    Sp12 1100 remington
    Sp10 remington
    and My Tool , 870 Super Mag.

Lots of others but these are old friends and that seem Important these days.

R Green