gunnel rod holder

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by katplayer187, Mar 14, 2009.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    so i pretty much have eveything i need for my boat but the rod holders

can anyone recommend a rod holder that will clamp to the gunnel and will ajust up down and right to left??

i have been looking at the berkley rod holder and i like them have also read reviews on the cabela's rod holders and alot of pepople say that they crack when there are tightend down..

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Personally I'll stay away from the plastic rod holders. Have heard too many story's of a fish hitting and the holder failing at the base, ending up loosing a rod. I think over time the plastic ones get some abuse maybe bumping into them, stress cracks form, then when something of size loads a rod up, the plastic fails.

Personally I stick with the metal ones. There are quite a few out on the market, price wise... best to shop around?

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Most of the clamp-on type holders that I can recall seeing look too flimsy to hold a hard hit from a fish the size of the one in your avatar, but someone may know of one. Depending on the model of your boat, the boat mfg. may have something. I know they used to sell holders for Duracraft that fit in the gunnel slot and tighten down. Those appeared to be pretty sturdy.
    Driftmaster makes a pretty sturdy clamp-on base for their rod holders, and their holders are 1st class stuff. I've hooked into some really big fish, hung up on stumps in heavy current, and never had one give on me. http://www.driftmaster.com/Bases.html

4. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    From what I hear the driftmasters are the stuff. I installed scotty powerlocks on my boat. So far no problems what so ever. The cabelas brand is Identicle and fits the exact same base. I like the abilitys to be able to adjust mine where I want for a given situation

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My thoughts pretty much run the same as Mikes. There is little sense in loosing an 80 to 100 dollar outfit because of the rod holders. I also use the Berkley, and I have even welded up some rod holders out of 1/2 inch stock. You'd think they would hold a submarine...and they may well do so. BUT, I always tie a six foot length of 1/4 inch rope to the rod, just in front of the reel. It may break the holder, but the good Lord is strictly against me if something ever gets the pole. LOL

6. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i also like the berkleys and power locks because you dont have to mount them on a base and you can move them where you want to on the boat when you want to instead of have to mount bases evrywhere for other rod holders.. anyone else have any info please let me know.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i don't have any clamp down rod holders, i use the flush and side mount "action" brand pole holders from cabela's, i buy the twin pack for under 20 bucks, they seem pretty decent for the price

8. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i have 1 kamakazi rod holder comming from a place in austrailia 35 a piece shipped ill let you guys know how they are... look like some wicked rod holders though!!