Gun sugestions for child???

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by cnwamw, Sep 10, 2006.

1. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    My oldest son will be 9 this year and i'am thinking of getting him a shot gun. I'am thinking about a .410 or maybe a 20 ga. what do you guys think?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    please dont get him a 410 everyone thinks recoil but hardly anyone thinks shot charge get it ? i shoot a 410 for quail and dove im 45 years old and i know if its a good shot i take it if not i pass but a child cant have the same reserves please do both of you a favor get a 20 use light loads till he's used to recoil

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    .410 shells aint cheap either.
    I started out on the 12 guage and recoil has never been an issue except with one long single shot goose gun that was made long before I was thought of.
    Now that gun I'd just soon as take a butt kickin as pull the trigger.
    The Remington 870's are affordable and pleasant shooters with the 2-3/4 shell.

4. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Mossberg makes an nice youth model 20 guage in the $230 range around here, about $175 used in good shape.JMO

5. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would go with the 20

6. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    You never said how much your willing to spend if you have the bucks go with a Bretta 12ga semi very little kick with trap loads and if
    i'm right you can get a youth stock. Rem's or Mossbergs are ok but you will find them inferrior plus you might find yourself using the kids gun LOL

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i started out with a mossy 500 .410 and i used that squirrel hunting for a few years.... it worked fine for me

but then i got a remington 870 express magnum 20ga and that is a good gun and i still use this

but i would say a 20 ga cause price of shells and imo my .410 kicks just as much as my 20 ga so i dont think kick is gonna be a issue

but i would proally say a rem. 870

Jeff

8. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    all depends on what your willing to spend and what you are going to use it for.i got my first gun about the same age it was a H&R 20ga single shot.it is easy to use and a nice little gun to get started with.you can get them for about 100 bucks.although i have advanced to to alot nicer guns i still use it every now and then, it is light and simple to use.once he has matured little bit you can always step up to a pump or semi.

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I would go with the 20 that was my first gun and I still have it. I have heard that the Remington 870's are not what they used to be and have a major problem with shell ejecting after about the first year. Mossberg makes a very good shotgun and the older Brownings are nice. I currently have a JC Higgins 12 guage that I mostly use. This is also a very sweet gun.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think Id go with a 20 gauge too. I love the 410 my grandpa gave me but like others have said shells can be expensive. Ive never shot a 20 so I dont know about comparing the recoil between them. Either one should make a fine youth shotgun.

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yea the single shot would be a great first gun

but i do also think that remmingtons 870s have went down in quality BIG TIME

but mossbergs are very good guns my dad has a 835 turkey gun and it SHOOTS great and is one awesome gun and if i ever buy a pump again it will either be a mossy or maybe a benelli if i can find some good reviews on them

Jeff

12. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    My nephew shoots a 12ga. singleshot. He is 12 years old. He started with the 20ga. and said it was not easy switching over to the 12ga. He loves his 12ga. so much.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Trained my kids with a break open,exposed hammer type single shot 20 gauge.I believe it to be the safest type for a beginner.My reason is that it is SIMPLE and you see all of what is going on as you use it.I used a 20 gauge for the above reasons,plus 20 gauge shells are far cheaper.Also weight has it's pros and cons.All things being equal,a heavy gun has less recoil.I weighted down a 36 inch single barrel 12 gauge Goose gun as Mark described,complete with the kick that would loosen the fillings in your teeth.I put lead in the stock.My grandson now likes to use it Dove hunting in place of his Remington 870 youth model 20 Gauge.He claims that it cured the recoil and shoots fine from any angle.Is it the oddity?Go figure kids.I wish you the best.peewee-williams.

14. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    I Going With A Single Shot 20 Ga. Thanks For The Great Advice

15. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would also suggest using the Remington 870 Express youth model, my buddy that i still hunt with still uses his 20 guage youth model, it nice since has a short barrel which you can get up quicker and it can also use it for quail and pheasent.

chris

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are a couple of different grades of 870's.
    I shoot a Wingmaster 33" full choke barrel that is probally as old as I am.
    The 870's today are of no comparison to a broken in one. I also prefer the round pump stock as opposed to the squarish blob they put on them these days. This Wingmaster is well used and never been touched other then disassembling for cleaning. It works flawlessly.

Ever since I was put on a 12 guage I developed the automatic habit of firing the weapon and letting the recoil direct the pump action. I have to think to not automatically pump the gun.
    I have no doubt this plays down any recoil through the pump and my arm as opposed to my shoulder.

A Browning auto thumps harder then a Remington auto. The timing on the gas disharge is different between the two manufacturers.
    On the other hand recoil is rarely a problem when firing at game. You dont notice it. Maybe at the end of a day of fast and furious bird hunting having gone through a case of shells one may leave a darker hue of purple on the shoulder then another.

I heard all the childhood stories of a 12 guage kicking someone back or having to lean against a tree but they were just that, stories.
    I wasnt a big kid, tall and skinny and I was unimpressed the first time I pulled the trigger on one.

My Wingmaster has killed far too many quail, dove, and won more then its share of turkeys and hams at the turkey shoots to be qualified as inferior.
    Its gone up against too many of the higher end shotguns in the field and competition and come out on top too many times and its completely off the shelf and out of the box.
    Most of it is knowing how to shoot what you got.
    I love the balance and feel of the Remington Peerless but its not necessary.
    It does make it easier to become accustomed to the weapon and how it shoots and the pointability is unmatched by many gun manufacturers in my opinion but its all candy. I havent picked up a shotgun yet that couldnt get the job done.

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Would Definately Go With The 20 GA., Several Of My Friends Have Kids Of The Same Age & They All Have Youth Model 20's. Some Of THem Are Mossy's & The Rest Are Remingtons. They Started THem Off Using The 2-3/4" & Then Bumped Them Up To The 3''.

Most Of Them Have Already Killed Their first Deer With The Buckshot & Hogs With The Slugs.

HTH, Elliot