Gun Safety

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmandeux, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I was taught never to point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot. As an adult, I practice that, and as a step-parent, I took it a step farther...there's no such thing as a "toy" gun. My step-son never had a toy firearm, and when he was older, I refused to go along with pleas from him and his mother to let him get into paintballing. Shooting people should not be a game.

Fast forward to this past weekend. There was a civil war reenactment near here, and my wife took some visitors from Spain out there. When discussing it afterwards, I told her I would never get involved in that, because I couldn't get comfortable with guns being pointed at me.

And then.....moments ago, I went to yahoo to check my email, and there it was: a story about a reenactor that was shot with a round ball in Virginia recently. One of those times when I wish I hadn't been right.:sad2:

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    sounds like a Democratic anti gun add to me.:smile2:.LOL

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Toy guns were my favorite toy. I had all kinds but the western six-shooter was my favorite.

I got my first 22 rifle on my 12th birthday. Don't remember anyone telling me not to point it at a human. Suppose I just knew that. Maybe I learned it when I got my Daisy air rifle several years early.

Amazing how the world has changed in my 73 years.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We were snapping in one time in the Marines - picture a 120 man company sitting in a circle with a 55 gal drum in the center, pointing rifles at the targets painted on the barrel. Some joker had a blank in his rifle and fired it off. People went nuts, of course, and the goof that did it lost a stripe and got 45 and 45 out of the deal.

My kids don't have play guns, but every stick they find becomes either a sword or gun (or combination of the two). They have BB guns and any time they get pointed in an unsafe direction, they lose the bb gun for a week. I don't have anything against play guns, but they've got a pretty good imagination, so they don't need 'em. I've gone to great lengths to teach them firearm safety.

5. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    when i first moved in were im today[8 yrs ago] an old nieghbor [moved last year ] bought my two boys bb guns the first x-mas we were here. i told them if i ever caught them pointing them at each other they would be gone. well about 6 months later i call home from work and hear the youngest crying in the back ground, asked wife what was wrong said oldest shot him in the butt cause youngest shot him. well i got home later , got both boys and guns, outside we went and i broke both guns against a tree. both boys cried for a couple of days. never did get them another. my father and grandfather taught me to respect ANY fire arm.tried it with my 2 and they didnot learn.:cool2:

6. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    as a step-parent, I took it a step farther...there's no such thing as a "toy" gun. My step-son never had a toy firearm, and when he was older, I refused to go along with pleas from him and his mother to let him get into paintballing. Shooting people should not be a game.

thats your choice .but ever child likes to play cowboys and indians , you cant be a cowboy without a six shooter.:wink:

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We brought our 3 boys up with the notion that every gun in this house was loaded and don't mess with it,and my dad always said that an unloaded gun was no more than a stick... The guns didn't just sit there loaded either but we wanted them to have that respect for firearms. We also taught them that OUR things were not THEIR things and keep their mitts off our stuff, but they did have plenty of toy guns. We never had a problem with them over our guns, they knew the difference between a toy and a real gun from the time they were big enough to worry us about messing with them, as John has always been an avid hunter.

We just taught them about firearms from the start, and we never left ours laying around where they could get them either. After they got older they never offered to touch our guns...I don't remember it ever giving me pause with our boys, as I knew we educated them on the issue, and we were safe with our firearms too.

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I also have 3 kids who dont get to play toy guns with 1 exception water guns.I am an avid shooter and at 1 point a collector (due to financial strains from an unexpected package from the Stork lol had to sell em ).

I have taught my kids the same thing that all guns are considered loaded and ready to fire regardless,tho you would never find a gun loaded in my house.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    My guns have been loaded since Ive owned them, whether they were or not. My dad had his .38 locked up but I had my rifles under my bed, go figure.

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was brought up knowing that every gun is loaded, and not to point a gun at anything unless I wanted to kill it.
    smokey