gun info

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by mr.whiskers83, Jan 16, 2010.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    My dad has a Remington Model 11 Sportsman 12 ga. shotgun that has been in the family for a long time and I was just wondering if anyone knew how rare it is or possibly how much it's worth. I have looked online but can't find anything to compare it to price wise and there is no listing for gun prices anywhere. I do know it was manufactured in May of 1946 and they stopped making the gun in 1948. So it is close to one of the last year models that was made. I've seen it called a model 11 and model 11A so I'm not sure which it would be. If anyone knows of anywhere to look online or knows any info about it please let me know. Thanks.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I had Model 11's in 12 and 20 guage. Solid old guns and exact copys of the original Browning A5's. Look on www.gunbroker.com I just looked and there are quite a few in decent shape for $300-$450 and well used much less. I paid $75 each for mine back in 1972. I think I sold them for $150 each thinking I was the smartest guy in the universe. Yet another couple of guns I wish I had never sold.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I still have one in 20 Ga it was my second shotgun,a gift from my grandfather at the age of 10 I believe. I use it now and then just for old times sake,But I like his Browning A5 light 20 that I have now much better .

4. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Thanks for the info, I will check the site out. That's a gun that won't be going anywhere as far as I know, we were just curious as to how much it was worth being that we knew it was a pretty old gun. It was my great-grandpas gun and it will stay where it's at.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Sportsman series was a "Factory second", kind of like Winchester and "Ted Williams Brand". I believe they were sold by Sears. I had one with a three position choke on it. It was a pretty good gun, but I upgraded to a Remington 1100.

6. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    A good old gun. Contact Remington and they will send you a copy of the manual. The friction ring is kind of finicky when going from full loads to light loads and needs positioned in different ways for each load. Make sure it is positioned right before running heavy field loads thru it.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You can go to remington's website and download a PDF file of the owners manual for every gun they ever made. Good luck. I inherited an old Remington 11 48 sportsman that had not been shot in 40 years. It had a varnish like sheen all over the inside. I got the manual from remington's website and took that gun apart to the last screw, soaked everything in solvent, dried everything, light lubrication with Remington Rem Oil and she is like new.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010