Gun for coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by billNpam, Nov 19, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    As a rule I sleep like a rock but last night was one of the nights. About 1230 after a bowl of Apple Jacks I was laying in Bed and heard a pack of yotes barking and yipping in the pasture beside the house. I did not know they were there but I guess it is time to get a couple. But what caliber of gun do you all recommend. Also should I only hunt them at night due to the pasture only being 100 Yds from subdivision I live in. The subdivision is in the country so I will check before shooting but believe I should be fine. (of course I will let the neighbors know what I am doing).

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i myself would choose a 12 G sence your in a sub- . but if your look'n to save the pelt 220 swift,223,204,22mag,243,just afew there for ya.you can hunt them all day but i find early morn'n til about 1 in the after noon to be good then from about 1 hr before sun fall . at nite can't help ya there never done it .

3. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I just brought home a 22 mag. autoloader for the purpose of working over the coyote population around here.
    I lost too many last winter shot with a 22 LR.
    Mark

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id go with the 22-250,its an exallent caliber for that type of work.I promise you wont be disapointed.to me its the best varmint round around but thats just my 2 cents.but i have shot alot of calibers.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    When I was a kid in So.Cal I shot them with my .22 with hollowpoints, I had 15 rounds although. Remember that show CHIPS,well that was my backyard. If ya sneezed nowadays there it would be a terrorist act. Glad I dont live there anymore.

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'd either get a .223 a .22-250, or a .223 WSSM. I have the .22-250, is a savage tactical, with a Bushnell 4200 Elite 8x-24x scope. It will shoot a 1" group at 300 yds, off of my caldwell lead slead. I am shooting handloaded ammo with 50 grain Hornady V-max bullets. The gun also has virtually no recoil at all. But if you aren't wanting to shoot long distances, I'd go for the .223 It will still shoot 300yds no problem. My buddy just bought a new .223 WSSM. It's supposed to be the fastest cartridge now in the world. It's factory loads are shooting in excess of 4000fps.
    If all else fails, just use a deer rifle if you have one. Before I got my .22-250, I used either my .30-06 or my .300 Win Mag.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 223 rem. and a 12ga 3" 1 5/8 oz of copper plated lead size bb shot,It will dump em out to 60 yds.

8. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ive shot them with everything from a .22, to a 30-06 i perfer the 7.62x39. but the 7.62x54r, and the 30-06 are very fun. im not a fan of a scope. and i think shooting coyotes is the perfect chance to work on your long shot. as long as you hit them somewhere there as good as dead. the rest of the pack will take down the wounded

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Around here, we are a non rifle state for deer, you'll see fellas using anything from the 30/30, 223, 270, whatever the family guns were. The SKS guns with the cheap scopes and ammo are real popular also. Hunting at night is the kicker. Not supposed ta do it this state. Dawn & dusk it gets rowdy sometimes.

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for all the great advice. I think I will use my trusty old 870 12 ga. But this will have to wait until after deer season.

11. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yote hunting is getting really big around here. I like the 22-250 personally. When I go out with my Brother-in-law he uses a 223.

The guys around here love the late hunt. My brother-in-law bought tons of stuff last year to hunt them: red lights, remote-controlled-electronic-bouncing rabbit, cd's of yote sounds. I don't know, a little much for me, but I'll go with him and shoot.

12. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Bill, If I were you I would look in to the new 17, they are made by several of the leading gun makers. It's fast and packs quite a lot more punch than the 22 mag, and will do a number on those coyotes. and you don't have to worry about killing someone in the next county because it will explode on impact. I tend to like ruger my self.

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I would use any of the smaller faster rounds mentioned in here. If you have a really good bullet that expands such as a V-max or ballistic tip, they will not come out of a coyote. Also if you miss they shatter when the hit the ground. There is such a very very small risk of hurting someone with these that i really support the use in areas like u described. With the larger guns and some buckshot, they do not have the velocity to shatter the bullet into "harmless" sized frags. They will also overpenetrate something as small as a coyote.
    If you go with a shotgun, i would load my own shell with BB's from a BB gun. .177 cal, they are effective out to around 65-75yrds in a full choke shotgun. At 100yrds they will barely break human skin, (my buddy accidentally shot me with one 5 yrs ago)

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id say go with a 22-250. my uncle uses his and gets them coyotes up to 250-300 yards out there.

15. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    At 100yrds they will barely break human skin, (my buddy accidentally shot me with one 5 yrs ago)[/quote]

He called it a accident LOL

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im with bootshowl ive taken many a varment with my sks,especally then darn ground hogs.But ive used my .270Win on varmints to of course theres not much left but hey less to pick up right?

17. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    22-250 if my choice but there are a lot of others that will work.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bill, why not make it sporting and use a rod n reel. 12/0 trebles and a piece of liver. you could even sit in your boat in the driveway. have a club ready when they come over the side and dont try and lipum. lol

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bill, why not make it sporting and use a rod n reel. 12/0 trebles and a piece of liver. you could even sit in your boat in the driveway. have a club ready when they come over the side and dont try and lipum. lol

oh yeah and take some video for us to enjoy please!

20. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Bill, in this case, I'm going to be different from everyone else and suggest a 22 Hornet.
    Couple of reasons;

You're shooting real close to a subdivision.

You don't want people to call the police/sheriff every time you pull the trigger.

The 22 Hornet is a quiet round that will take coyotes within 150yds with ease. Plus with it being on the quiet side, it won't upset the neighbors like a 22-250 would.
    Happy neighbors is a good thing to have. If you get them upset by blasting hyper-velocity powder burners around midnight, they'll call the police and talk to the county/city about getting a new no shooting ordinance for your area.

There is a way to make a sound director tube for a shotgun that redirects the sound of a shotgun towards the sides and bottom, essentially silencing the shotgun. Can only be used with subsonic rounds, but within 40-50 yards bbs should be able to do the trick.
    http://www.dillerdesign.com/quietgun/index.html
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20030024377.html

Will :004: