gun cleaning tips

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by ronniethomas, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    does anybody have any good end of season gun cleanning tips for shotguns and rifles alike?

2. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Whenever possible clean from the breach instead of the crown to prevent performance robbing damage to the crown. Don't over oil, it can cause dust and debris to cling to the gun and could cause a jam to occur or wear out moving parts quicker.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to dissassemble the barrel and action from the stock on my bolt guns,and use brake cleaner on the moving parts. Then I use a dry spray lube like teflon in the trigger area,Prevents dirt from gumming up. As for the barrel,I use Barnes copper remover once a year If I shoot alot otherwise Hoppes Elite ,It is the fastest working solvent I have ever used. Wipe down with a silicone gunwipe and put her away.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Never use 3-in-1 oil on the moving parts of your gun. Had an uncle do that to a pump shotgun, and after sitting in the gun safe all summer, it was all you could do to pump it. That stuff just gummed right up.

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats pretty much how I do all my long guns at the end of the season. I use Hoppes Elite to scrub down my barrels. Its the best solvent I have found so far. I also have several of the silicone gun socks that I place my long guns in before I lay them in my safe. The spray lube I use is called "super lube with teflon".

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i still use silicone rags, but i use a lot of spray silicone too. everything metal on my guns gets covered, inside and out. as they said earlier, you can't go wrong with anything hoppe's elite. that stuff is good.