Gumbo

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I make Gumbo out of about everything, Squirrel, Rabbit, Duck, sausage, just about anything you want to put in it or a combination of all of the above. I am going to give you my recipe for chicken/shrimp, adjust to your tastes.

1 whole chicken
    1 1/2 lb shrimp
    1 lb Okra (frozen is ok)
    bell pepper
    Celery
    onion
    flour
    Jimmy Dean Sausage (Or other quality sausage)
    garlic
    Salt
    Crushed peppercorns
    4 qts water
    1 can tomato paste
    3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (more to taste)
    1 bay leaf
    Your Brand of hot sauce

In large pot add 4 quarts of water (if I am just making chicken gumbo I use 2 quarts chicken broth and 2 quarts water). At this point I peel the shrimp, and take all the shells and add to the water and boil. Add whole chicken or parts to the water and shell mixture. Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Take sausage and crumble into pan and fry. When sausage is done remove from frying pan leaving the grease, over medium heat add flour slowly to the sausage grease stirring constantly, keep adding flour until it start to thicken. Keep stirring until mixture is golden brown and remove from fire.

After chicken is done remove it from the pot and debone it. Strain shrimp shells out of water and put water over medium heat and add sausage/flour mixture to water. Chop 1 cup celery, 1 cup bell peppers and 1 cup onion, and add to the water. Mince garlic clove real fine and add salt and pepper and Old Bay seasoning and 1 can tomato paste, and 1 lb of Okra, hot sauce and bay leaf to the water

Cook for about an hour to an hour and 1/2, the gumbo should thicken over medium heat, add shrimp the last 6 minutes.

I usually make myself Japaleno corn bread, and make rice for the rest. Either way is good.

The good thing about Gumbo, is that you can nearly add any kind of meat to it, I have used crawdad tails, crab, different sausages, or what ever is left over in the fridge.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    gumbo! now youve got my attention. dont forget to start your reux with bacon grease. and for goodness sakes put some blue crab claws in there!

good stuff man.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    See how you are?
    Now I'm gonna have to make a trip into town and I wasn't planning on going out today.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There used to be this little shack on West Fowl River in Mobile county...Mary's, I think it was called...Ah! The gumbo!

We used to make gumbo with bull reds...now we use catfish...I think I might like gumbo better than cigars.:big_smile:

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love Gumbo, really dont care what is in it.....I make a big pot and eat on it for a week. Seems like the longer you have it in the fridge the better it gets.....

6. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    this was great only thing i did diff was i used a good cajun smoked sausage..this was great

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Every once in awhile, I will add sausage to mine, usually it is just what I have on hand. Glad you enjoyed it.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't like to put sausage and such into my catfish gumbo because the taste of the sausage overpowers the taste of the catfish. I make up a vegetable gumbo, and about 30-40 minutes before time to serve, I lay my catfish fillets in on top. To serve, I put my rice in a bowl, ladle on some of the gumbo, and top with a fillet.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds good Gary, i'll print this off and give it a try.