Gulp!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Smuggo, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Took my son to fish his great uncles pond that is stocked with channels.

We used Gulp! imitation livers, blood flavor on simple rig with a couple of splitshot and a crappie hook. In an hour and a half we caught 11 cats 2-5 lbs. Good fishing...my son had a blast.

The bait comes in a ziplock bag and is a connected link-style bait (like sausages) I have used other link baits that were a casing with a prepared bait inside that washes out but these were a durable almost soft plastic consistancy that held well on the hook. The fish seemed to like them too as we had good steady action on both poles. I took each link and cut them in half which gave me about a 1 inch chunk

Overall good baits. Clean and easy to handle. The package says 400X scent dispersion and it outfishes natural baits. The cats seeemed to hit it hard and not let go...1 bait caught several fish

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for the info, might have to give them a try on the next outing.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Once used power bait, I have to try GULP.

4. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    I have used it once, but caught nothing! BUT the only people catching ANY FISH that day was some people Jug fishing, and couldn't tell what they were using for bait. IT DOES STAY ON THE HOOK GREAT!!!! I will report back when I use it next time we are out.

Hope this helps!

Andy

5. mossyoakhunter28

mossyoakhunter28 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have used this on several occasions with no luck. I fished all night the other day with one pole of gulp and one pole with cutbait. The gulp caught nothing where as the cutbait caught me 4 6pd. channels. Not to say it won't work in certain situations but I won't be using it anymore.

6. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Never tried GULP baits for cats, but they out fish my regular plastics 2 to 1 on white and striped bass.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What is great bait one place ain;t worth a hoot in others.Also,when fish are really feeding,they will bite most anything.I once had a 4 ft.deep 20 ft.x 40 ft.clear water pond with a flowing well feeding it.We would feed the fish out of our hands.Some times you could stick a bare finger in the water,a catfish would latch on and you could get him clear of the water before they dropped off.They were pets.I have never had any luck on any of the artificial or prepared baits,but others love and catch fish on them.I spent a lot of money trying.I was recently looking for the Gulp or Fishbites sheet bait that you cut what size & shape you want.Bass Pro in Savannah Georgia said they quit selling it because it doesn;t sell.None of the prepared Catfish baits of any kind sells well.I must not be the only one with no luck.Any bait that was really catching fish has always stayed "sold out" as fast as they could get it in during my 50+ years of fishing.Even the natural baits.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. chicken man

chicken man New Member

State:
    mo
    wonder if walmart sells gulp?? anyone know?

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    here you can get chicken liver and blood in the zip lock pouches and in the little jars. not to expensive. ive never used it but it looks like it would work good for channels. ill have to try it sometime.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For many years I use to visit 8 different Wal-Marts regularly in the states of Va.,Tn.,NC.,SC.,and GA.Certain items I often searched for and priced in all of these stores.Different stores carried different items.Different stores carried different prices for the same items.I could never understand,nor could the Wal-Mart employees.I have been related to some and friends to other of their employees.Stating the Wal-Mart stores that you can shop in your areas may help.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    they sell them here in cali for 3.50 for 12 at walmart, not to sure on the flavors though

12. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    When your live bait starts to lossen up ,apiece of dough bait ,or stuff like gulp on the end of the hook helps to keep them on .

13. revolver

revolver New Member

State:
    Chicago il
    Ive used Berkley gulps catfish bait and caught 2 11lbs catfish in a local river right after another and then some Flatheads in a pond in my subdivision