Gulp shrimp

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by cook, Jan 3, 2007.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Anyone have some advice.

Gilmafan,saw your post about power grubs,are they the same?

Heading to Fl. in a few days,do some beach fishing.I've used live shrimp and a variety of lures with success.Some days I want to just lob something out and sit on my a$$,soak up the sunshine.Be nice to have some bait that I don't have to work or keep alive or on ice.Travel light.

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have heard about them but do not know of anyone that has used them. i will be waiting to hear if someone has had any luck with them also.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Gulp shrimp works well on a jig are under a popping cork. If you are just wanting to lob something out do a search for "FishBites" it is an awesome artifical bait. It comes in blood worm, shrimp, crab, squid and clam. I have used all of them and they all worked. you can order it in sheets are already cut. You will need a good pair of scissors to get it off of your hook and can forget about pinfish stealing it. It does not come off. This time of year I would say use the cold water if they have it if not the warm water will work.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Cook, I was standing right next to Plumber1 and he was kicking butt with the hits at 200 ft down.... Berkley power grub in like hot pink... I did not use them... I'm hard headed... not to say I wont next time... i'd say use the crab one or curly tail.... on a carolina/slip sinker rig...good luck

GilmfaM.... bayrunner ray

5. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    In S.La. "gulps" are great for reds/drum/specs/flounder. You can get them at any Academy sports. They are pricey- a pkg of 8- is $7.00 and some change-
    Advantages: their action under a cork or carolina rig is excellent very lifelike-disadvantage: they are very soft -trout will tear them up in no time and a larger red will likely split it in half. They also come as small crabs which drum and reds like under a carolina rig.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I started using them earlier this year, and there is no going back now. I've had success all summer with redfish, black drum, flounder, trout and small grouper. My favorite is the 4" pearl white.

Some others I've had moderate to decent success with is the 4" swimming mullet in pearl white, yellow, pink, and the Jerk Shad in white/green. Have had best luck with trout and flounder with these.

The shrimp I'll work on a red or white jighead, or on a fish finder rig with a circle hook, because redfish will absolutely swallow these things.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    did OK with the shrimp,3" white.Was pretty slow for everyone,hope it picks up soon.
    Berkley had a product called cut bait,probably similar to the Fish Bites,came in a sheet that you cut to size and shape.No hits that I could detect,back always came back chewed up,crabs I guess.
    Doing the freshwater thing with grandkids this week,then back to the beach:cool2:

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What were you catching?