Gulp salmon eggs.

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by catfish_jordan, Feb 27, 2007.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
  2. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    When i was a kid, some 20 years ago, i always used some eggs that were called balls of fire. I think the brand name started with a P. It was Pl... im not sure but i think there was a n and a z in the name also. I never did try any of the Berkely baits; ie Power baits, trout nuggets, ect. The gulp series seems to be their, (Berkelys), engineering feat. I would say it is at least worth a real effort. Something the fish may not have seen before. Also be sure to try it in different situations and give it a chance to prove itself. You cant just pull it one day, use it for an afternoon and develop any kind of decent opinion about it. Something about them caught your eye, give them a chance to catch fish, not just a fisherfman.:lol:

Dru

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jordan
    I havent tried the Gulp Salmon eggs but I have been really impressed with some of the other Gulp baits like the 6in herring. They work really well and give off a lot of scent and create their own "oil slick". From what Ive seen so far they do actually work as well as live bait. Ive had blues slam them fishing on bottom just like I was using real herring or shad. Im in the experimenting stage with them right now and like what I see.

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    They work, I've caught a some on them, but IMO, powerbait is much better.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I haven't tried them. When I do use bait for trout, I've always just used powerbait or nightcrawler.

Try them out a few times and let us know how you do.

6. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    they are great for rainbow trout and steelhead trout. I have used them when i was stationed up in Washington State (Fort Lewis). and when i was stationed at Fort Eustis ,VA

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I haven't used the gulp eggs but I've used the little gulp worms and the rainbows loved them.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The brand of eggs you were referrin to was PATZUKES they are by far the bestbrand Ive used

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    WHEEEW I was worried there for a minute.When I saw GULP salmon eggs I thought it was a new technique I would have to master.Usually I just slowly chew mine then swallow them.Gulping isn't good for you.:lol: :eek:oooh: :smile2: :tounge_out: Ken where did you find the herring.Holding out on your Santee buddies huh??????:sad2: :lol: Sure would save on the effort of keeping the little devils alive in the livewell.:smile2:

10. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Yep, those are the ones! Green lid, if I recall correctly. Matter of fact, I probably still have a jar or two of those things floating around in one tackle box or another!

Thanks for the memory!

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello, how do you rig salmon eggs? do they float? your help would be appreciated.

Jaime

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best way to rig a salmon egg is with a ..... salmon egg hook .And I'm seriousthey are real short shanked j hooks the right size for just one egg

13. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    When we fish them in faster current, we hook two eggs on one egg hook. It took a bit of practice to get them both on there. If you ever hooked an egg bad and the hook is hanging half out of it, then you are almost there on this technique. Two eggs are more visible and we catch a lot more fish this way. We can cast it further, too. Seems like no matter where we fish, they are always just three feet farther than what we can cast. :crazy:

14. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    you can buy some that do float but the berkly gulp ones i was talking about do float but PATZUKES dont. i just use a j hook with a float.