Gulp Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Louie, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Wanted to hear some reports on this stuff. My local Wally world has it and they sure hype it up alot. Was wondering if it's worth my money or not ?
    Thanks

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Ok i bought the stuff in the bag and the Jar. I have to say that i might as well just threw the sinker out there by itself cause nothing i mean nothing gave it a second thought. I tried it for a month almost straight, not so much as a nibble. I would save my money and buy a castnet for skips ~ since i switched to skips i've been landing them like crazy!

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'd say give it a try.... Out in the ocean.... the the gulp is out-fishing live bait 2:1 at least....give it a try.... and let us know...

Bayrunner Ray

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    it does work in salt water but i have not used it in fresh water.

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Dont waste your time with any of that pre packaged bait. Get yourself a cast net and a sabiki rig and catch fresh skips and shad. Use them whole or cut, as long as they are fresh. Your catch rate will increase drastically. rspd507

6. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I agree with some of the other guys when the say buy a net. Here in Kansas the stink baits only work with the little ones. If I'm fishing a tournament and have not caught anything all day, I will throw some store bought bait on just to weigh something in. If all your after is the small ones its worth the money but if you want to get into the big ones you have to use cut, live or blood at least here in Kansas.

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    my experience is that the bag stuff is only useful just like plastic baits and that way it works exeptionally. the jar stuff is better for tipping jigs and using on spinner rigs. i have only ever caught one fish(channelcat) on just plain , sitting still on the bottom gulp nightcrawlers. but thats it. for still fishing livebait will always be better. for lures and stuff gulp and powerbait is usually better.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Have caught a couple on it and other prepared baits, a few eaters but nothing of any size.

I do keep some in my fishing pack for "ran-out-of bait" emergencies and when I don't expect to be fishing.( I keep rods and my pack in my truck, ya never know when you may get the urge to toss a line):big_smile:

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Gulp works !!! Charter fishing guides are starting to use it on Snapper/Grouper trips now, yep, it's expensive, but it don't spoil if you got some left over after a trip. I belong to a saltwater Kayak fishing club and the members use it 3 to 1 over live bait now. Consistantly outfishes natural bait for Reds, Trout, Flounder and others...

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ask Johnny i think he gave it a try in the last prepared bait tourney or maybe he was snacking on the stuff:feel_good: can't remember:smile2:

11. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tryed some of it in a bag I never got a bit on it ,tryed several time ,also put it on jugs and never cought any.

12. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    No luck with gulp baits here.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never had luck with prepared baits at all really.

Only thing that gulp has that i like are those little maggots for busting bluegill on. Those work like a champ for me.. so in a sense, gulp helps me catch catfish.

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Like my little bait catcher :wink::smile2: said, the maggots are good bluegill bait. Never had any luck with any type of preformed, bagged bait.

15. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    used gulp in th bag a few times...actually caught largemouth bass on it, but no cats. have used magic bait an caught several 3-5 pounders on different scents an flavors. no monsters here on prepared baits. have caught a 22 lber on 1 single nightctawler an crappie hook on 10 lb test. that only happened once. usually catch larger fish on cut shad. perch an bream dont work for me for catchin ANY cats.

16. daisy102998

daisy102998 New Member

I have good luck with it for panfish and small channels

17. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I have used it a couple times and it does work. I used the crawdad and minnow versions and threw them out on a bottom rig. I caught several smaller ones and a couple that got into the 5lb range. You are still better off with fresh live bait for the bigger cats though.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    are you asking about the catfish gulp, or the plastic lure type gulp? i have caught sand bass bass, walleye and crappie on the gulp minnows, but i have never even tried the catfish stuff. i can't get away from live and cut bait. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

19. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Gulp does work. I have never tried it for catfish, because I only like to use fresh native fish for bait. I have done numerous tests with gulp curly tailed minnow grubs vs. regular plastic grub types that i KNOW work for white bass, sauger, and striped bass. I have caught fish on those gulp grubs when they wont even touch a normal plastic grub that same color, but will hit the gulp over and over. Like I said, I wouldnt personally use it for catfish, but gulp does seem to work for me for other species.

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Gulp baits are pretty good there good bass fishing baits