Gulp Alive

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Anglermoore, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Anglermoore

Anglermoore New Member

State:
    N. Richland Hills, Texas
    What are your opinions about Gulp alive minners (minnows) for you non-rednecks...LOL:doubt:

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Maybe I just haven't been in the right situation yet, but thus far, the only time I've had any luck with Gulp baits is in saltwater. I've used several style of the Gulp in freshwater and just can't get anything to really take it. A couple of small 10" bass while up on vacation in Iowa fell for a sinking minnow, but that's it...I gave the rest away in trade for some saltwater baits.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have never had any luck using freshwater gulp baits. I've actually caught more catfish than bass on them! They just don't seem to work as well as just regular soft plastics do. A friend of mine has caught some bass on the Gulp frogs though.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I agree, we use Gulp saltwater baits with outstanding success but the freshwater Gulp doesn't seem to work. The local Gander Mountain was selling a package that contained 5 different pouches of freshwater Gulp and Power-Bait for $4.99. Thats a buck a bag... Saltwater Gulp goes for $5.95 EACH !!

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    natural bait is the only way to go !!!!!!!!!!!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,I've not used them ,yet,I have such good luck on Gene Larew salt craws I see no need for change.:big_smile:

Oh 'fore i forget ,Welcome to the BOC ,glad to have ya.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Are you talking about the Gulp! line of scented products or the new Gulp!Alive! minnows in the magic gravy liquid? That's just come out and I've only gotten a look at the advertising and endorsement salvo from Berkeley. Al Lidner sures seemed excited about the stuff but his view on catfish seems to put them just above gar on the desirability scale. Personally I buy gulp and powerbait stuff for when I just can't stand to be in the house and I don't have either the time or the money for bait. They work almost as well on smaller cats as fresh but to tell you the truth I've done better sneaking out the back door with a package of cheap hot dogs and a package of red Kool-Aid. If you cut up the hot dogs in 1/4in lengths and put them in a sandwich bag with the drink mix powder over the top it seems to work really well if you let it sit for about 10min on top of the dash in front of your steering wheel while you unload the rest of your possibles. Use one of those Whiskerstiker hooks and run the barb inside the link with the cut sides beside the blade of the barb. This strategy has saved me from the
    flying frying pan of doom several times in the last 25 years. In my experience this works generally on eater size channels down to fiddlers.

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think gulp baits are more talk than anything. I always see stores with sales on gulp simply because not many buy them. Ive tried several styles of gulp baits and for me they just dont compare to regular soft plastics.

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to agree i have only had luck with the salt water baits.

10. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have used them (bought them on clearance) and had NO success. They do look like they should imitate a minnow, and they do STINK, but for freshwater, NADA. Now in Florida, my dad and his buddies do very well in saltwater.

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Like a lot of us, I am a sucker for new products, so I bought some Gulp! I had about as much luck as the rest of you did. Now, I think Berkeley has some great products...the power bait for trout is un-equalled by anything except fresh roe sacks I tied myself after stripping the eggs from big females in spawning season. Roe sacks are as near perfect a bait for trout that time a year as there is. Almost guaranteed success, but power bait is awfully good.