Gulf Sturgeon

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by Swampy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Are running hard in the Swan river now. Any one been targetting them this season? You have to release them in the S river as they are protected,but can be a catch of a life time. The river is loaded with them this year from what I've heard,but I haven't made it out there yet this year.

2. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tony we were at Fanny Springs at a Catfish tournament a few weeks ago and there were a lot of Storgeon's in the river then. Did not hook an, but was a sight to see.
    Walter

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Thanks Walter. Nothing like seeing them big boys jummping 10-15 feet out of the water. Last year we seen countless 5-6 footers 150-200 #'s breaking the water at top speed ever few seconds. Not many ppl fish for them due to having to release them.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I saw a piece on GMA this morning about them and the many folks being hurt from getting hit from them when they jump .....crazy stuff.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Its apparently spawnin time. So close the river for the spawn and keep the lawyers outa work. They been doin it a hell of a long time.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Yeah it happens every year,but it's getting where it happens alot more often then in years past. That only tells me one thing - the numbers of them are going up each year. They are bad dudes they have a armor like shell that's made of bone. It would be like getting hit by a flying 150 # center block.

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

They have more right to be there then the boaters do,they were there 1st. These fish have been running that river forever. They won't close the river for them because the bass fishermen would fight it to the end. The bass fishermen want the state to stop protecting the fish and get them out of the river. But I have a better idea the state should get rid of the bass fishermen. They wouldn't be getting hurt by the fish and they wouldn't be catching all the catfish food out of the river.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Here's a link to some interesting stuff on the gulf sturgeon. We've had a couple of similar incidents in S.C. with the atlantic sturgeon, too. They also do quite a bit of jumping, but it doesn't seem to be related to spawning, which is in early spring.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3375111&page=1

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    They are really ugly fish thats for sure. They are real mellow once landed,but when you set the hook in one you better hold on to your rod. LOL I've seen a few reels get spooled out by them in a flash.

I think the reason they jump as they do is because they are sending signals of some type to the others. I say this because you never see just one jump at a time. If one jumps they are followed by others in the area one right behide the other. Then they will stop for a while and then it starts all over again in no set time pattern.

10. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    what is the best bait for them thay r not far from me

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Small-med live shrimp & red worms seem to be the ticket. Fish your shrimp whole and with worms load your hook up with as many as you can get on it. Use a slip bobber set up to keep your bait off the bottom.

To be safe these are a few things to keep in mind.
    If you catch one make sure to release it asap. If on the bank get a photo as soon as the fish is landed and release it,do NOT put it in a cooler or on a stringer. If in a boat get a photo and release NEVER put it in a livewell or power up your boat while the fish is aboard. Like I said they are potected and Fl Fish & Game officers will finn you in a heart beat. Under the state laws they can fin & or Jail you as well as take your truck,boat & gear if fish is confind or transported.