Gulf shores - Saltwater Fishing

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by cumberlandcat, Sep 28, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone have any advice for gulf shores I am going for my yearly trip next week I usually come up with ome big blues and king mackerel from the shore I would love to pull in a decent shark this year I always catch the little guys.
    I have heard you have to swim the bait out to them and wait. I can never get the big reds in they cut the line on the rocks before I can them in

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey chris,

i live a lil' ways up the bay from there. the last report i got thurs. said that offshore boats are catching limits of snapper, nice grouper, and amberjack. if you can afford it, the midnite tuna lump trips are doing extremely well.

if you are just fishing from the shore,
    right under the pass bridge is producing some good redfish, as well as other things, and will be a good time. but.... if you really want to hook up on some big bull reds and sharks from the beach, make the 15 minute drive over to fort morgan. blakely bar is world famous because of this time of year. they have a free boat launch there, and you can fish from the bank on either the bay side or gulf side. i cant express blakely bar enough. the last time i was there we cought and released about 10 redfish that were in the 25-35 pound range. and also wrestled with some sharks and king macks.

if you get an early morning you might wanna try the bayou's and lagoon's around ono island and the inter-coastal for speckled trout. but, the best way to catch speck's reds, and the almighty flounder, is to get some berkley gulp shrimp in white, and red 1/4 oz. jigheads. cast them under the pier lights at night and hold on. the closer the lights are to the water the better. i went a few weeks ago and cought about 85 in 4 hours of fishing.

good luck to you bro.

j.d.

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    We go there every year and usually catch the usual, a few flounder,some king mac's and the such.. but here is something I have always wanted to try but have never done it..I had a guy tell me once that they would (from a pier) drop a piece of cardboard in the water, drop their bait on top of it and it would carry out to sea..when it got way out they would jerk the bait off and then catch the sharks..stands to reason..this would also be a good spot for one of them bait boats.. If you do go out get the longer 8-10 hr trip..the shorter and party ones are a big waste of time and money..also if you take the dramamine take it the night before..if you take it the morning of the trip you'll fall asleep half way through the day, 'specially if someone on there is forcing you to drink beer..:wink:

4. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    You can to Orange Beach(East ofGulf Shores ) and fish the inlet(jetties). With an outgoing tide -run a steel leader through some life savers and attach a small balloon with a pc on monofiliament. As the float moves out with the current -the lifesavers melt and releases the line . Generally you can get a 15-minute "ride" -but if you choose -you can pull he line hard several times and it will break the life savers. As memory serves you can park on both sides of the bridge -but cannot fish off or walk over the bridge. Give us a report!!! Good luck

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the info guys. I usually go down there every year in the spring around April. May have to look someone up. Thanks.

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    let me know b4 you come down and ill give ya my number.

thats a pretty good time of year for some of the inshore action. especially spec's. we cought some of the finest stringers of spec's ive ever seen last spring.

im curious to hear how chris did. i think he got pretty solid advice from everybody, i just hope he got into some of those big bull reds. they put up the best pound for pound fight in the world. imho.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Our sharkfishing club had a 12' aluminum V-hull that we used to row the bait out a couple or three hundred yards when fishing from shore.