Guided Wylie trip

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Frostman, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    This morning a friend and I fished with guide Rodger Taylor on Wylie. We both enjoyed the trip and as always I learned some things fishing with an expert catfisherman. The big fish bite was off but we caught about 6 channels (2 to 3 lbs) and about as many whites. We also caught a one-eyed bass that was probably close to 3 lbs. Hope the pros aren't counting on that fish to win the Bassmasters tournament on Wylie this weekend.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Well, one benefit of going out with a guide is that he can show you spots that will generally get you a fish or two. Plus, you can learn techniques that usually work best on that water.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What kind of spots did the guide take you to? And what kind of bait did y'all use? Just Curious?

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Glad yall had a good time and thx for the recommendation.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a great time, thanks for sharing.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Glad you all had a good time,Thanks for sharing!!!

7. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Patmansc - Most of the places we fished were places I'd fished before (Little Allison Creek, near Ebenezer (where the gathering will be), and a shallow (5-10 ft hump) near the main river channel. We anchored at first light near shallow points near deep water. There we used cut bream. We then went into the backs of major creek channels to get bait. These creek channels were full of bait based on the depth finder, but it took a few casts before we had a number of threadfin shad and a few gizzard shad. We then drifted the threadfin shad (cut the tails off) and gizzard shad (cut into steaks). Drift locations were Little Allison, shallow hump near the main channel, and another hump/shallow flat near Ebenezer. Our final drift was a place I suggested where I often fish - a hump about 17 feet deep next to a drop-off into the main river channel that's 50 feet deep.

The guide pointed out some good points where you could see a bunch of clam shells washed up on the bank. I've heard others in this group suggest that, but it was helpful having someone point them out. Now I have a good visual image of those points in my mind.

8. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Didn't look at who posted what - should have referred to reply to Wylie Catter instead of Patmansc. Sorry for the confusion.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a good report, Jim. Now that I have those spots marked in my memory, see ya on the 5th. :big_smile:

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    :lol: Good ol' Rodger Taylor!! He is my fishing buddy, and I have learned a TON from him. He said you guys were really nice clients and he hopes he gets more like you.

I talked to him after your trip and he did say the bite was not exactly hopping. Some of those spots he took you to are the ones tatersalad and I won the tourney with last Friday night, so the fish are there. Rodger and I have both noticed the large number or bullheads or white cats that are in the lower lake right now. It can be annoying at times when you are after big fish.

If you get a chance to fish with Rodger on Wateree this winter I would GO! I have fished down there with him several times and we have caught some 20-35 pound blues.

Did he tell you he came in 10th at the Cabelas King Kat Classic last year down on Santee? Not bad for a guy who was born in Bessemer City, NC!!!!! :lol:

11. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Yes, Rodger did tell us about his 10th place finish at Santee. That's especially impressive considering there were about 160 boats in the tournament.

Oh by the way - I know where you caught that big one - grin. But - with the price of gas these days I'll not be making that long boat ride. I'll just have to wait for the big'uns to come on down the lake.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Down the lake? Long boat ride? It is only 10 minutes from Ebenezer!! :lol:

Rodger and I both think there are some big blues in that lower lake. They are just not in the same patterns that we catch them in during the winter. We have taken it on as our "summer project" to find them and figure out a good technique to catch them.

I actually caught my personal best 12 pound 4 oz. channel in some of the waters you guys fished, and I will bet there some more in there bigger than that.

13. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I moved from the lake to Kershaw this past January so my Wylie fishing has been slowed quite a bit. I'll probably focus most of my trips to learn more about Wateree. My friend that was with Rodger and me caught a 7 lb 12 oz channel last night at one of the places Rodger told us to try.

Although Rodger told me where you caught the fish, I still don't know where that is. I guess I just wasn't listening carefully enough.:confused2:

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I didn't realize that Wylie would have a guide or two because theres not a great amount of fish guide usually go after. Hartwell, Murray and both Santee lakes have loads of guide that fish for striper, cats and crappie.