Guided trips

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by goosehead32, Jan 24, 2007.

1. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Been looking into the world of guided fishing trips. I was raised fishing the Mississippi river south of the Quad Cities in Illinois. We had some excellent days fishing and many were very poor. That's where I learned to enjoy every fishing trip, even when we're not catching fish. My old man doesn't fish much except when he visits me. I have personally had some excellent days fishing KY Lake, but when dad visits, we've had trouble getting on fish for many different reasons. This year we've been throwing around the idea of paying for a guided trip. Have any of you been on guided trips for catfish? What are your general throughts on paying someone to take you fishing? Is it worth the money. I've been finding most trips vary from $250-$350. That's a bunch of cash for anyone to spend in one day!!

Thanks

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    IMHO guided trips are great if you plan on fishing that body of water in your own craft one day. You will be able to see what type of tackle the guide uses, where he fishes, and what he uses for bait. Takes away a lot of trial and error for the fisherman. You can take the knowledge that you get from the guide then use what you know to add to it.

Wheelmobile07

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My personal belief is that the guides for fishing trips are like weathermen. When they are wrong, they are wrong, but you have no recourse. You may well spend the 300 to 500, but there is no guarantee you will even catch one fish. Think I would rather play the lottery...there is a better chance of winning.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I guess I've been lucky, for I've not had any trouble. Guides usually (hopefully) are aware of their particular bodies of water, the best techniques to catch them and the quirky spots to catch them.

5. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know of a guide that lives in Shelby Co. Ky...He charges $200.00 per day on the Ohio River and meets up with you at the ramp at 3rd street in Louisville, Ky. or in another area closer to you if he can...He has a good reputation for catching large cats and to give you a hint uses a 10/0 hook...He furnishes everything including sandwhich and chips and drinks...Water onboard also...If you like i can get his cell number...I use to be a guide at Taylorsville myself but takes too much time now for me to be interested...But like he said, the experience to use afterwards is forever! How many times have you said i'd give a $100 for a bite?? Yeah, me 2, so think about it before you say no... Also, i am sure your dad will never forget so take the Kodak....

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Neal, it my be better and cheaper to hook up with some BOC members in your area for a trip. Many are willing to take other BOC members fishing, whether you are a new or old member. Many of the BOC members are highly skilled fisherman and lots of them are good at catching multiple species, if you don't want to fish for catfish exclusively. Also most are willing to show others, their techniques and spots for free. Even if you only learn a good bait spot or minimal amount of techniques it is worth the trip. Vern

7. texcat

texcat New Member

State:
    Lexington, Ky
    Shanadoia I would be interested in his number if you can post it that would be great.

thanks

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    If you are a fairly accomplished fisherman and not fishing waters which may be particularly treacherous a guide may not be necessary. If you are new to fishing and just want to scratch the itch to pull in some fish then a guide may be the ticket. Some guides are very helpful and will help you learn the water so you can reproduce similar results when you head out on your own. It can cut your learning curve down tremendously. Again, if you don't already have a garage full of fishing stuff, boat, maps, GPS, autopilot, 4 tackleboxes, 6 sinker molds, the list goes on... then a guide is not only smart but a real economical deal when you think about it a little.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    So far I've only been on 2 guided trips in Freshwater, and that was on the James River. I mainly went just to see how the guys do it, esspecially about catching bait there and all kinds of stuff like that. I say, it can be a good thing to do if (as someone else said) you plan on fishing there in your own boat or something and are trying to get the feel of things.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This would be a good time for everyone to review the BOC rules.
    So far this thread has been infomative and helpful so I would like to see this thread remain on the board. This is just a friendly reminder.
    You cant mention any guide's name or contact information the board as it will be considered spamming UNLESS it is one of the guides that are BOC sponsors. This is only fair to these guys.

You can trade all the information pertaining to phone numbers, names and so forth you want off the boards as in emails or private messages.
    Keep up the flow of spam free information:big_smile:

11. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys,

I agree with your thoughts. My intention wasn't to get reccomendations on guides. Just to talk a bit about the usefullness of taking a guided trip. I'm sure some trips and guides are better than others. I'm like a lot of fishermen out there. I have a good bunch of gear (my wife tells me that I "want" to much stuff and I try to convince her that I really do "need" it), and a good idea of how and where to catch fish. Now all I need is the time on the water to be able to do it consistently. That's the tough part. Thanks again for all your thoughts!

12. texcat

texcat New Member

State:
    Lexington, Ky
    Sorry that was not my intention at all. Sorry again

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Sorry but I don't know of any good catfish guides on Kentucky or Barkley lakes.Only ones I know fish for fiddlers.