Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took a guided trip. The plan was to ask about a million questions to guys that do it all the time pretty sure I ended up at about a million and a half haha
I went with Captain Tyler from Show me Catfishing but took their Alabama TN river trip that they offered.
He was super helpful and I explained anything I asked. Very willing to share information.
But what a trip!
the bite wasn’t what I would call on and we started the day with mostly dink taps and some small fish but it picked up as the day went. 14lbs was the best we had to show for it then we got that big bite we were waiting on...
Sky Arm Gesture Cloud Tree
Sky Cloud Tree Recreation Leisure
Sky Gesture Smile Water Recreation

Sorry no idea why it’s turning the pics sideways...
He went 67lbs

Caught several small fish as well and a couple 14lb.

Camouflage Sky Cloud Military camouflage Marines
Water Sky Boat Cloud Smile

So we were very blessed and the information I took away was incredible! Should help me for years to come...
Certainly I would recommend Capt Tyler to anyone looking to go. I’m sure they don’t find them that size all the time but from all I can tell they do make a frequent habit of it...

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys
Eric you can pick all you want - if I can remember 1/2 of what I learned I think it will be successful haha
A big take away was how precise he was able to anchor on structure and cast back on it accurately. Really interesting to be able to have that level of precision. Most bites happened quickly because the bait fell right in front of them.
I really need to improve my skills in this area....
Smaller structure that I would have probably overlooked held fish was another good one.
And I learned I wish I lived closer to the TN river haha that’s a good fishery.

Stacee I can’t remember exactly because we hit so many spots but it was around 20’ or so most all of it thru there was around that depth give or take.
I don’t really count it a PB - it’s a whole lot more the guides fish than mine. When I get one on my own that size it will be a PB. That’s just me personally. To each his own on that though...

·
Registered
996 Posts
if I can remember 1/2 of what I learned I think it will be successful haha
A big take away was how precise he was able to anchor on structure and cast back on it accurately. Really interesting to be able to have that level of precision. Most bites happened quickly because the bait fell right in front of them.
I really need to improve my skills in this area....
Smaller structure that I would have probably overlooked held fish was another good one.
There is a lot going on when you fish with guides. We do some things that any don't think of starting with fishing off the beaten path. It is crazy what will hold a fish. Some of my favorite spots are not bigger than my boat and a foot deeper than the rest. The best part is most just drive right on by.

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
Dan,,,,,,if I told you my favorite spot was upriver on the Indiana side by the big tree, and you caught a whooper there would it be my fish or yours? Although a guide did an excellent job and took you to a good spot, you caught it. Having a big pig as a personal best just makes it harder for you to beat in the future. Thatt is all up to you. You do seem to be smiling a lot though. Just think,,,,I lived in Huntsville for 8 years.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is crazy what will hold a fish. Some of my favorite spots are not bigger than my boat and a foot deeper than the rest. The best part is most just drive right on by.
Thanks Brad
That’s one thing I noticed - even a small structure within another structure such as a small pile of rocks or one tree by a ledge will / can hold them. I’m normally looking for big changes and just drive by.

you fellas and PB - I am aweful tickled to have caught a fish like that and I suppose like Tom said we all have help and guidance from time to time from someone for which we are grateful. Yes I was smiling in the pic - pretty sure I still am I imagine I will be for some time to come 😆 haha that was a lot of fun...

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,320 Posts
Dan,
I know exactly what you mean about feeling that fish is not totally your PB but think of it the other way too.
If you took a friend fishing and set up on a piece of structure that you liked the look of, and your friend caught a giant, that fish would be just as much yours as theirs.
For me, the challenge is finding them; I don't care who in the boat reels them in but, that said, they still have to be played and landed.
That fish is absolutely yours.

Hiring a guide is not a cheap undertaking but of everything we spend on our fishing, a day with a good guide is one of the best investments we can make, not only on an unfamiliar water but even places you think you know.
A good guide will not hesitate to tell you anything and everything you want to know. There is also much to learn just by watching. These guys are doing this for a living so everything they do is geared toward catching fish so paying close attention to everything they do is valuable. Even on days when the bite is zero, watching what they do to systematically work through different things to find fish that will bite can be invaluable.

Great fish Dan, congrats.

...W

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,297 Posts
Congrats on your trip Dan,
I get what your saying. heck i keep up with personal best for different bodys of water boats etc.

You are 100% right about the precision anchoring. Both the guides ive been with were excellent at it. I still cant get it exactly were i want it sometimes. Especially in current.

My home lake dosent have a huge number of flat heads in it. Any good size rock tree or stump could be holding a big fish. There millions of them. Not to mention the standing timber out deep.Makes for tough fishing. Makes it tuff to fiqure out what cover to fish.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My home lake dosent have a huge number of flat heads in it. Any good size rock tree or stump could be holding a big fish. There millions of them. Not to mention the standing timber out deep.Makes for tough fishing. Makes it tuff to fiqure out what cover to fish.
This is always my struggle - with so many points of structure picking which ones to spend time on. That’s why I think I’ve been focusing on just bigger ones. Probably not the best choice as Capt Brad said I’m driving right by good spots.
My current train of thought to narrow down the field is to focus on ones that have two types of features such the tree by the ledge scenario - gotta start somewhere I guess...
Yes the amount of effort put into that precision anchoring was a real eye opener but makes perfect sense. On a sluggish bite they probably aren’t going to come find you. I need to plant it in their lap where no self respecting catfish can refuse it.
His Lowrance would give him exactly how many feet he was from the marker. I assume my Bird will do that but I’ve got to learn how.
I learned a ton like Winston said - it’s a super investment considering everything else we buy haha buying an education is money well spent... Even without catching a good one I would have still been very happy with the time spent!

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
Yep, birds will do it to. If I remember right, you can set a ring around your boat at a specified distance. Then when you anchor, you can let out anchor rope until that ring is over the target. That will give you a casting distance you want. I think you can also set rings around a waypoint. Somewhat like the boat ring but coming from the other direction.

I read an article in the past that said you were better off fishing smaller structure than the big stuff. The article said a flathead wants a place with a little protection from current so look for that. Then a place where he could ambush food coming past so some current is a plus. Then a place small enough that he can easily protect it from other cats. Flatheads seem to be loners and very competitive. So one log or stickup can provide these three things

Now this is an article I read so don’t take it as gospel, But give it some thought. Trying it a few times will determine it’s accuracy. Don’t decide too easily, even the best of logs may not have a fish on it all the time or they may have just ate a big meal.

tight lines

1 - 20 of 25 Posts