Guide Wear

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Has anyone had problems with braided line wearing grooves in the rod line guides?

2. blackdog40

blackdog40 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What kind of guides to you have? Most cheaper guides will be cut by any line. I have not experienced any problems with braided line.

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I haven't so far. But I did tear up a levelwind shield on a Penn 209 spooling PowerPro incorrectly! Be careful out there.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've had mono goove guides before.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    braided line will cut through any guides that are not stainless steel. but it is an easy fix, I just replace the tip of my poles that dont have stainless... most sporting good stores should have them, if they dont have a big enough size like i have had a problem with you may have to get them from a big retailer like BASS PRO, CABELAS, SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE, GANDER MOUNTAIN.

Good luck!

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive had mono and braid groove eyes before solid stainless eyes don't seem to wear out.

7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
  8. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I havent had Power-Pro braid cut any groves yet! I hope it doesnt!:wink:

9. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    It has been some years since I have noticed any cutting in any of the line guides on the fishing poles I use regularly. Monofiliment seemed to do a good job of cutting the softer silver-plated brass guides of years ago. The later ceramic guides resisted line cutting, until you happen the chip the guide. Line cutting is not a problem then, not guide cutting.

I often wondered if it could be suspended silicas in the water we fish. Mud, etc., being imbeded in the line and then ground into the guides from line pressure? The braided line would seem to add to this possibility. Just a thought?