Guide Series Baitcast Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mac-b, May 22, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I am going to test the GS66 Guide Series Baitcast Reels for Gander Mtn. It has a 5 2 1 gear ratio and and 6 stainless steel bearings and weighs 12.5 oz. and it will hold 160 yards of 20 pound test. Have any of you guys and gals tried one? If you have, I would be interested in your experience with them, both pro and con. After a 30 to 60 day period, I will post my experience with these reels. Thanks, Mac

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope I have never try one, but we dont have a Grander Mtn here.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Do you have a link to the reel....Any link????Dwight

4. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I work there in my state as near as i can figure they are made by shakespear so it is up to you and what you think of that brand I would go with an okuma or an abu garcia first you can get them for close to the same price good luck

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    The 66 holds the same amount of line as an Abu Garcia. The drag is smooth as it can be and so far I like it. Since puting them in use, I and my guest have caught way over 100 blues and 20 some channels. Biggest blue so far has been a 16 + pounder. Waiting to see how they do on a thirty plus. It might cast a little bit better than an Abu, but not by much. I do not know who makes them for Gander Mtn..

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Call the company and see if Gander Mountain will release any info on the reel....I'm sure they won't, but give it a try.....Dwight

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i have one of these reels. they are pretty nice and i don't have any complaints about it other then the bait clicker isn't as loud as i'd like it to be and i can't crank down the spool tension as much as i would like. but then again i'm fishing near a dam the majority of the time and the water is pretty loud and have a pretty good current. i've brought in 20 pound flatheads on it without a problem. and oh yeah, works nice for pier fishing salmon, even with 80 stren braid i can launch a 1 oz spoon further then most guys out there with their 10ft spinning gear.

8. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i've been told by a guy at gander that most of their reels come from pflueger, or atleast are very similar....so these might be like the trions

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Dont have one yet but let us know how well they do and Ill be placing an order.:smile2:

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Have used the Guide Series Reels for almost two months and found out the following. It is as smooth casting as a Abu Garcia, Quantum, Cabela's, etc. and the gear ratio is made for cats. Drag works just great. Only down fall is that when you hang up on a drift, you can not wrap the line around the reel and try to break it loose or break it all together, due to it having a thump release. You have to get a towel and wrap the line around your hand or wrap the line around the boat cleat, which is how a lot of people handle this situation. They might be better suited for anchor fishing or bank fishing. Mac

11. csthopper

csthopper New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi guys, thought i would bump this thread for some interesting information about the Guide Series Reels. I found this thread while searching the internet for information on a Guide Series reel i got from ebay.

You're thread mentioned Gander Mountain which is something we don't have here in Louisiana (although catfish we have plenty of ). So I gave Gardner Mountain a call, and the guy i got in the fishing department told me some cool info. He said the Guide Series Spinning Reel is manufactured by Quantum, and the Baitcast are manufactured by Pflueger. Not everyday such information is given out to the public so I figured it was worth adding this to the thread that led me up to making the call.

With that said, the motion on the Guide Series spinning reels I purchased are very nice and will probably end up on my own rod instead of being given out as a X-mas gift ;-)

Happy Fishing

12. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love my 66HS's. After finding out my AG 5600s and Berkley 6'6" lightning rods were not enough for the big cats, I bought some new equipment. I have used AG almost exclusively for years bass fishing, but they quit making the large Morrum that I wanted for cats. Instead I bought 2 of the 66HS's( 6.2.1 gears) and a couple of Ugly Stick cat rods. I have had no problems with the reels or rods. They can handle almost any fish out there. I pulled in several 40# plus cats as if they were 2# bass. They cast better and farther than my AGs. My Christmas list has 2 more of these reel and rod sets on it, hope my wife and kids can find them.