Guide On Posts

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Liver Slinger, May 3, 2008.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I want to make Guide on Posts - How much wider than the boat should I space them?

I want to mount my tail lights on them also. Just wondering about mounting my licesen plate on the guide post ?

I have some 3/4 soild steel bar stock Im going to use. Heat and bend to shape & bolt to frame. I plan on placeing PVC pipe over the bar stock.

Thanks for any help

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ron, My friend and I have made similar items for our boats. We usd 1 1/2" lightweight tubing, and formed them as the letter "L". We bolt them onto the trailer frame using some 3/16" flat iron and "U" bolts. They are pretty rugged posts. We actually make four of them, two for the rear and two for up front to fasten the side rails onto. The ones on the rear expend above the side of the boat and have the lights mounted on them. That was we don't have to disconnect the lights or buy new bulbs all the time - LOL You'll probably have to lay on your side to see the picture right...I forgot to rotate it before posting.

Attached Files:

3. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I made some today - I used some 5/8 round bar made a small bend at the end and welded it to a hunk of 3x4 flat and bolted it to the frame. I cut some PVC pipe to go over the round bar. I have about 1 1/2 in space between the boat and post.

I like the lights out of the water . When I have the extra $ I will get better lights and mount them on top the post.

Untill then guess ill unplug and keep extra bulbs.

I have my trailer just about done need 2 more bolts then can carpet the bunks, need to move to park lights also.

Thanks

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So how do LEDs handle the water?
    Gonna save on buying light bulbs or not?
    Been wanting to change to them for stop and turn signals but if they have problems with breakage it'll be kind of an expensive upgrade.
    cya on the river
    just

5. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    I put led's on my trailer and love them. They don't use as much juice from the batt. and are brighter. If one bulb burns out you still have lights. That's why almost all the new fire trucks and squad cars are using them. They cost a little more but are worth it.