Guest viewers

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by s_man, Feb 24, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    What sections are our guests allowed to view nowadays? Every time I make it to the bottom I always see a few members and a hundred guests. Are the same people just coming on as guests over and over or are they becoming members? I post on this site ( like most members ), to help other members catch more and bigger fish, give insight into products,methods,and strategies that will improve their abilities. I hate to say it but maybe we are giving away too much for free lol. If they want to lurk and not post at the least we should be able to see that they are there day in and day out. Just like the 24 hour member list. I'd like to know if the same guest logs on every day or week. That way , (with a little peer pressure), he might be inclined to join. Maybe I'm off base? I don't know, what do you all think?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I visited for a couple of months before joining. Not being able to view photos will drive them over the hump, and most will join. It's just too much suspense not being able to see the HUGE catfish we've caught.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    this being said your teasing them with your avatar , i once had an avatar with a 40# flathead but it was removed because it didnt coinside with the avatar limits which state [The Avatar picture option was created to allow members to visually identify who they are talking to and create an atmosphere of friendship by sharing your personal image, "Your face". This option does create a more favorable environment for all and is strictly voluntary to participate in.

The Avatar picture option will only contain a relatively recent recognizable photo of yourself and will not be abused by placing advertisements, pictures of dogs, cats, cartoons, or other images or other forms of animated media.

The Profile picture can be used to display another photo that you like as long as the picture is in good taste and does not contain advertisements.] this insert was takin from [BOC Staff / Community Rules] item #9
    mine was deleted some time back when avatar rules were pushed and enforced more regular now it seems its not or maybe theres so many things to do to keep this site inline that it falls to the shadows

with new members coming in every day its hard for the all volenteer staff to keep up they have to read and moderate every post i some times try and remind people of avatar abuse even ping a post to draw quiker attention to the ones that dont seem to be up to par

i want visitors here cause they soon become members , i myself visited for a time as im sure most have and as soon asa im financialy able i will get my star back by donateing to help pay the bills as i hope others will aswell

well iv said more than my brain can keep up with so thanks for listening to my ramblins for now

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I didn't see any rambling. I don't want a photo, I just want to see a name or User ID on the screen. It just feels wrong to me giving up all my secrets and they wont even fill out an online form to let us know they are there. If you want to hang back and read thats fine. If you start catching fish because of what you found on here you should give back some info. Its only fair right?

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well... not sure how long it mighta taken me to sign up if my husband hadn't already been a member. I probably woulda just read along for a good long while, feeling like maybe I didn't have much to contribute.
    Maybe folks are just shy and don't get a user name till they feel like they have something valuable to say?
    Hopefully they'll take the plunge and join up and just start postin... not waitin till they catch a lunker to do so :cool2:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Carolyn, I did not want to seem mean, I trust you know that if you have read any of my posts. I want everyone who visits this site to join up and read,ponder , then ask questions, and in the end answer the same or expanded questions to a whole new group of recruits, after they learn how its done. You will not find a more willing group of people anywhere in your everyday life. If you ask it here (on any subject) catfishing or not, You will get answers. Some you might not agree with, some you will. You can't just think of us as an encyclopedia. This is an evolving entity, we strive on knowledge, experience, and good old fashioned AMERICAN knowhow. If you learn something out on your own,because of something you read or heard, or did on here. Its almost mandatory ( LOL ), that you share a little back to the rest of us. Go ahead and keep some secrets, Just remember to help those coming up who know nothing.

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

SECRETS ?? :eek:oooh: Who has secrets?! :lol:

lol :wink: I hear ya, Skip... and I didn't think you sounded mean at all!

Just made me think... I don't post on the fishing portions of the board much, but I do read there and learn alot. I get inspired, too, seein folks' lunker-photos! Usually I just give a thanks and reps, without posting a reply. You made me realize that if it weren't for the non-fishing-oriented forums, I'd feel like I really didn't have much to add.
    Anyhow, I'm with ya!
    Calling all lurkers...... lol... come out, come out whoever ya are! :cool2:

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    S MAN I certainly agree with your post. I joined BOC only today after viewing over a period of six months. Perhaps you would be interested in viewing my first post earlier today " THANK YOU GUYS" in which I explained I felt it unfair to benefit from all the knowledge available here, from some wonderful people with out giving some thing back. I also agree with Kat In The Hat that not being able to view the photos, and also not now being able to access the library influenced my decision to join. However I would guess a lot of members viewed the forum for a considerable time before joining, and perhaps thus they really are interested in the ideas that membership would include. I believe, at least in my view, the BOC has it pretty right now

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Well S man i joined but it took a while to get going in here cause I thought that and still do think that I can learn more then I can help so I hang around trying to soak it all in but yes I to wish all visitors would sign up afre reading for a while

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The BOC is the greatist site ive ever ran into.I myself feel this site is the greatist.sorry people ive been down with a construction fall broke both of my feet,but im on my feet now and without this site may have not made it.Thanks to all BOCERS.Im done ramblin .THANKS.

11. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The inability to view pictures is a great feature. Curiosity will get them after a while and they'll become members. Remember just because they join doesn't mean they will pass along tips and advise - users are users; nothing we can do about that.