Guess who was catfish jugging on Lake Hickory

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Some time around 7:30 AM Mifit98 and myself saw some unattended orange jugs floating in Gunpower Creek on Lake Hickory. We could not detech any movement so we left them alone.

Four hours later as we were approaching the interection of Gunpower Creek and the Catawba River we were passed by two fellows with the NCDNR and we waved and they waved back. Soon afterwards we pulled in our rigs and headed back to the Gunpower Public Landing and lo and behold there were the NCDNR fellows checking what turned out to be their jugs, we assumed. I assume since they can't shock the cats in suffient numbers they were using the jugs for their creel survey. Has anybody else seen this on other lakes. I have no problem with this technique and find it better than shocking. I think they would get better results if they sat them out around 9 PM and picked them up at 8 AM, but who am I to question them.

Both NCDNR fellows had there life jackets on. Bro. Mifit09 informed me this morning that he went to Gander Mtn. this past week and got himself one of those self inflating life jackets. Guess he got tired of me preaching to him that old codgers need to wear them when they are fishing alone. Mac

2. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Those officers with the NCWRC were probably checking those jugs to see if someone was using live bait! As we all should know live bait in conjuntion with jugs is against the law. The NCWRC does shocking and reports the results on cats as they would any other fish they observe.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If they were NCWRC Wildlife Officers then they were probably checking the jugs. If they were NCWRC biologists they were probably trying to gather some data on the blue population in the lake.

I will fire off an e-mail to some of the NCWRC biologists to see if they are doing some sort of research.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Catrod, these were not enforcement officers, they were staff members of the NCDNR.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They have been having a hard time getting sufficient samples through shocking trips because of the limited depth the shocking boats can hit. I bet they were trying something different to see if they could get their samples.

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Has anybody heard anything about the studies the NCWRC is suppose to be doing concerning catfish and possible regulations ? I haven't heard any updates in a while, maybe I missed it.