Guess This Flathead catfish's Weight, Old Picture

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by nathan8372, Nov 23, 2006.

1. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    Hey guys, I found this picture today while looking at some old fishing photos of my Grandfather. He does not know how much this huge flat head weighed, but he guessed 65lbs.

What do you all think? I am on the right, I think I am 4 of 5 years old.

Nathan

Attached Files:

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    id say close to 80# but cant be for sure dont know how big a man grampa was or is

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    That is a big fish, i would say that 65lbs is a might bit low. The fish appears to me to be around 75-80lbs, maybe more.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Nathan......welcome to the BOC! I see you've been a member a little over a month. You're already one of the family buddy, just joined right in and participated. COOL! I wouldn't really know about estimating the weight of your grandad's fish, since I personally haven't caught any that size, but it sure was a big 'un. I bet your grandpa was quite happy with that one, huh? :big_smile: (Dang, what happened to your HEAD in the picture? We wanted to see little Nathan! :smile2:)

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Very nice yellow Nathan, i would guess 70-80. It really depends on lenght. Nice fish definetly. Hard to say. SOme pics people will say 65lbs and it looks like maybe a 40 and others like yours say 65lbs and look larger.Thanks for sharing.

6. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    My Grandpa is about 5' 9", his hand is holding the blue's mouth so he isn't too far behind the fish - what you see is what you get, haahaa.

Yeah they didn't want me in the picture I guess, already too much excitement in the photo!

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Big enough to know better.:cool2:

8. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    That thing looks HUGE! I have no clue what to say, I would guess maybe 60-70lbs.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yep, looks real close to 65lbs to me. Is close to the size of the 63.5 I caught years ago!!!

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Awsome picture Nathan.I would guess 70#.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    My gess is 40-45 lbs. To me it looks like his body is leaning into the picture. Which makes his head look right next to the fish but the rest of his body is going away. Making the fish look longer and bigger then what it really is. oh well none the least still nice fish.

12. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    If he's only 45 pounds then how big is the yellow opposite of him? Humm interesting.

I guarantee he is bigger than 45 pounds, sorry buddy look again.

13. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Im not even gonna guess man... my biggest was a channel that was 15lbs & that behemouth looks 5 x bigger. All I can say is nice fish....& looks to have been a real nice day of fishing. 45lbs is a gross underestimation.

14. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I think your grampa's estimate was pretty close. Somewhere between 60 and 70. Cool picture, Bet those fish fed his family for quite awhile.

15. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice Fish...thanks for sharing the photo. Its a tough call on its weight but i wouldn't be suprised if it was close to 70 pounds.

16. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've never caught a huge fish but that looks like at least 75lb

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think 75 for that fish is a little big. Look in My avatar, that big Yellow is 75lbs! My guess would be 20lb class for the small one, 30lb class for the med one and 50 lb class for the biggest one.

18. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What he said^^^

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Since I've never caught a Cat anywhere near that big I can't make a guess but just wanted to say "Thanks" for sharing a vintage photo. I wish I had some old fish photos from my relatives but sadly none exist!:sad2:

20. Buckmybass4

Buckmybass4 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man thats a stud of a fish there.

JR