Guess I need to go bass fishing to catch flatheads??

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by SubnetZero, May 13, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hit Lake Sangchris for some Flathead fishing.

First run I pulled in a 12-15lb Snapping Turtle

Then the stripers decided it was buffet time

2 out of the last three trips have had the stripers on my blue gills, so I figure if I set out to catch stripers i should catch flatheads, right?...

BTW, Blue gill are hitting hard out there. I caught a little over 2 dozen in about 20 minutes on wax worms...

Attached Files:

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Nice sized striper there. Now only to turn them off and get those flats moving so you can pull in some hogs. Fun nontheless... at least you didn't get skunked!

3. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I agree, it may not be cats like we're all after, but it still looks fun.

4. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol....that's weird!!! at the beginning of last spring season, i was bass fishing on the bank of one of my favorite central illinois drinks...and i thought i was hooked up on some grass or something....using a 4 inch spinner bait...i landed a 7 # channel......threw the same spinner back out and caught about a half dozen crappie!!!the only time i have ever caught crappie in my life!!! on a 4 incg white and bloody spinner!!! still one of the best days i had last year!! lol

5. GotFish?

GotFish? New Member

State:
    Greenville Illinois
    What was the break radius like subnet? Yard size? driveway size or block size? not looking for exact dimensions.:big_smile_2:

I thought it was a little to late for large breaking schools at Sangchris

Depending on your response .......I may be planning a trip to Sangchris that involves an outboard kicker install ..........that may somehow include duct tape.:big_smile_2:

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not sure what you asking ??

I was bank fishing in a cove close to East dock. Cove was maybe 75 yards across.. All action came from pretty much the middle of the cove. not a single bite close to point. Fish were breaking the water all over the cove, not sure if they were stripes.. On my previous trip, I was fishing points off a cove in the middle (hot ditch) arm... The points were 3-4ft deep, with 14ft of water on either side.. They were all caught on live blue gill fishing on the bottom....

7. GotFish?

GotFish? New Member

State:
    Greenville Illinois
    In the spring and fall striper run shad to the surface in feeding frenzies. It rolls out over a couple months time starting pretty strong at dusk and dawn with a large amount of surface action per school, then tappers off to any time of day with smaller and spread out action as the season dies down.

I used to be able to gauge the next few days by the amount action, time of day, and the area it encompasses...........then guess like hell.:smile2: