Guasti Rancho Cucamonga

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jedi007, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    They have been advertising the stocking of Trout into this lake since the first Thursday in November. I have been out there four times in the past month and haven't caught any trout.

I was out on Friday and saw a couple of guys pull four or five of them out of the lake. No one else was getting anything. These two guys kept getting fish.

When they hooked the fish it would jump out of the water and splash around and jump again. They guy kept walking the fish down the shoreline so they wouldn't lose it. You would have thought the guy hooked into a mako shark down at the pier. Everyone was asking what kind of lure are you using? He answered green power worm.

I was telling the guy next to me, it didn't look like that big of a fish. He let me know that it looked like a good sized trout. I told him I agreed it was a nice sized trout...but it was a trout...not a dolphin. He started laughing and said...sometimes they jump like that when you hook them in the side.

I consider myself a diligent fisherman. I go and fish just about anytime and anywhere I am able to. I HAVE NEVER accidently treble hooked a fish in the side. I find it simply amazing when someone else is able to accidently do it over and over on the same day, and just happens to be part of the only group of people catching fish.

So I started to wonder if that was how the guy was catching all of the fish. Because no one else was getting any bites what-so-ever.

I went back out on Sunday Morning to Guasti. This time I got the same fishing hole as the guy who had hooked four or five fish from my last trip. I was using every lure I had, all the power baits, live bait, dead bait, dirt...just kidding. I didn't use dirt...but you get the point. No bites. I look over about 10 feet to my left and a guy hooks into a nice sized trout. Of course the damn this is jumping eight feet in the air again and appears to almost pull him into the lake.

As he pulls it out of the water, he starts to show the guy next to him the huge gouge that the fish has taken out of the size of it. It was about as long and as wide as your index finder. I was really disappointed to see that.

I think it really degrades the sport. If you can't take the fish by fishing why not hook it in the side and teach it a lesson.

I am not positive, but I could have sworn that is illegal. That really bothered me yesterday as I was driving back...fishless. I guess it still is bothering me otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nick, I think they were pulling your leg. Planted trout will jump like that. I went out a few times last week and Slaughtered them left and right when no one else was doing squat. This week the tables have turned, sunday morning i was in my spot for 1 1/2 hours and nothing, along comes a fisherman and bang 3 fish in 15 minutes not 25 feet to my right go figure.

3. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    It just makes me wonder. Like I said, the guy who caught the fish with the gouge in it had also gouged the same fish on the side with a treble hook as well.

You could hear everyone asking what kind of bait he was using. He told them red power worms. It doesn't matter what kind of bait you are using, if you are side hooking the fish.

When I was in that same spot on Sunday, I noticed it is a shallow area where you can actually watch the fish swim by. With all of the different baits I was using the fish kept swimming on by.

Not long after that, the guy hooked the fish in the side.

When I go down to the Newport Pier I see the same thing happen. Usually there is a couple Hispanic families about mid way down the pier pounding on the railing. Sure enough, 10 or fifteen minutes later they bring a 2 1/2 foot sea bass up hooked in the side.

The first time I met the guy he was cleaning a pretty good sized sea bass. I asked him what he used for bait and he said treble hook. I thought maybe it was a communication problem so I asked again and he said treble hook. So to be crystal clear, I asked what he had on the treble hook and he said nothing. You hook them in the side because they don't bite.

I thought it was pretty wierd at the time. However the more I think about it now, it is just plain wrong.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    For reasons that I can't explain, I have on many occasions caught trout that were hooked in the anus while fishing Power Bait. It never was done by design though.
    As far as fishing planter trout in park lakes or any other lake for that matter, you might try using 2LB leader or even 1LB. Try different leader lengths, sometimes a 12'' leader works and next time you need a 36''. Trout don't care much for cloudy water and if there is a soft muddy bottom they will often be higher up in the water.
    At Big Bear Lake I often use a 4'-5' leader because of the weed growth in the lake.

This from the fish and game regs.

2.00. Fishing Methods--General.
    (a) All fish may be taken only by angling with
    one closely attended rod and line or one hand
    line with not more than three hooks nor more
    than three artificial lures (each lure may have
    three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers
    in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and
    anglers under 16 years of age may use up to
    two rods in lakes, reservoirs and the Colorado
    River District. See District Trout, Salmon and
    Special regulations for exceptions.
    (b) Snagging is prohibited. Snagging is defined
    as impaling or attempting to impale a fish in
    any part of its body other than the mouth by
    use of a hook, hooks, gaff, or other mechanical
    implement. This definition does not include
    activities otherwise authorized under these
    regulations for the lawful use of a gaff, bow and
    arrow, or spear.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was going to say the same thing Tom, isnt there a regulation on sea bass? I havent lived in Cali in 13 years, seem to remember a ban on them.

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Nothng I could find in the ocean regs covers snagging.