Guadalupe River upstream from Lake McQueeney

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by HappyDudeSr, Jul 20, 2007.

1. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well my little slice of Texas has got a little bit over 8" of rain so far today. Ain't July supposed to be dry?!? LoL :smile2:The river is out of its banks. The Guadalupe has gone up about 17 feet today. I guess, when the river comes to you, it is throw line time. :wink:

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its the same all over Texas. A friend who fishes the Brazos below Waco hasn't been able to get out on the river since March. The Trinity is flooding above and below Lake Livingston. The dam release at Livingston is 60,000 CFS, normal is 3,000. And water is moving through the lakes at the speed usually seen on rivers. Gotta use 2 or more ounces of weight just to hold on bottom.

3. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Happy Dude, it is unreal being a fellow New Braunfels guy myself..I've seen on them when they come up fast before but today it came up fast and hard.
    It's amazing the shear power mother nature shows us sometimes. Be careful.

On a side note...lol. It oughta be some dynamite fishing soon as the rain quits for just a bit. Wish it wasn't my wedding anniversary this weekend or I'd be hauling in some blues/stripers.:smile2:
    It should be good fishing for the next couple of weeks. Have a client that does the security contracting for Canyon Lake and the eng. guru said they recieved 6-8 inches yesterday just on the lake, not counting what the rest of the hill country got up stream and is headed for Canyon via Kerrville &Comfort area.
    They should be releasing good amounts of water through out the summer if it never rained another drop today. (1000-4500CFS)
    SHould make good for all our river buddies all the way to Victoria,Tx since river flow is generally the problem when running the lower guad. (sand bars/gravel bars)
    Now if I can just find a way to express how great it would be to fish tommorow for a 7th anniversary present....Gonna have to use my hat rack on this one...lol ya right

4. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Happy Anniversary!! The wife and I had our 12th on 6/15

It was nuts yesterday. within a span of about 6 hours the river rose 17 feet. So I rushed around and moved our chairs and whatnot. Rigged up some drop lines, got the lines set out just about dark. When I went out to check 'em about midnight the river was back in its banks and my lines were on semi-dry land.:smile2: Kinda hard to catch catfish 20 yards away from the water:smile2:

Note to self: To increase productivity of throw lines the terminal end must at least touch water.:smile2:

5. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Happy anniversary Cliff I'm going to have to come and
    fish with you one day or night.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    happy anniversary cliff, good luck on that present i don't think it will happen unless she's very understanding, i think maybe u ought to let that go just for this weekend::

7. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it. Truly I do as I got a good one. The aint no CPR with her. She's stood by me through 6 yrs of Army life, 3 deployments and countless fishing & huntin' adventures. Gotta respect that or at least I do.
    Ed- I am all to familiar with you neck of the woods, but not water wise. Grew up in Luling Tx and we would hit those dances in SHiner every weekend. Lotta good times in Shiner TX. Got an uncle that lives near there on the Guad.. Maybe a river trip is in order.
    I appreciate it guys and I guess I got a keeper. Got to do a Kid's fish day at Cabela's this AM and fish clients this evening...tommorow is hers:wink:

8. rwestbrookjr

rwestbrookjr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Cliff, I seen you grew up in Luling. Odds are we prolly know each other. I'm livin in McQueeney now. Drop me a line some time. rwestbrookjr@yahoo.com

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for a snag resistant setup for rod and reel bank fishing in a snag prone river with moderate currents?