Guadalupe river above Gonzales

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by pat muckelroy, Aug 6, 2007.

1. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Put in at the Cost boat ramp and went up the river about 6 miles. The river was about a foot high with lots of vegetation and limbs floating down it. I fished the slower moving eddies with earth worms and brought in 6 channel cat in the 2 to 3 lb range. I was fishing in the middle of the afternoon and I came in after about two hours. The water is still muddy and stumps hard to locate. I won't go back till it slows down and clears up. Pat

2. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like the river is still running pretty high. Have you ever gone up river to the to the Oak Forest dam?

3. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    TBILL, I have gone up almost to the base of the dam you speak of. You have to wade a short distance if you want to fish the water at the base of the dam. The water is still too swift and dangerous for me to fish it. I am going to wait till it clears up and I can see the stumps. I hit a stump years ago at Choke Canyon doing about 15 mph. The jolt kicked the motor into a hard left turn, knocking the tiller handle out of my hand. I could just manage to hold on to the side of the boat, and could not reach the boat handle to straighten the boat out. The motor slowed down and I got it under control again. Since then I go slow and watch for stumps. Pat

4. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    I went up to the OF dam once, but there was a tree across the river and couldn't get to the base. Looks like the river will be running high for a while, Canyon is still pretty overfull.

5. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    What did you use for bait?

6. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Tbill, I use earth worms and grasshoppers right now. I also catch perch out of the river while I am fishing and use those as both cut and live bait. Pat

7. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    I went and looked at the ramp at Cost today, and both docks are still undrwater. Too high for me. Too many stumps. Water did look fairly clear, for the river anyway.
    Looks like a lot of water coming down the San Marcos, river at the golf course is pretty high and muddy.

8. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    The water at the cost ramp is a lot clearer than the water in the river. The river is still muddy and running too high for me. I have had very little time on this river this year because of the high water. I am going to fish the Nueces the latter part of September. I just hope its not flooding at that time. Pat