GSP or Silva best pound per pound?

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Little Luey, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    After watching GSP's last fight against Penn, who was supposed to give him a hell of a fight I am sure that GSP has to be pretty close to the best there is right now in the UFC, maybe only rival with Anderson Silva.

Don't you wish both of these guys could fight each other? I know the weight difference is too much but ...:roll_eyes:

At this time who could beat GSP? I don't think there is anyone out there at this time, he will be champion for a few years to come.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's not impossible that it could become a reality. GSP can, and has stepped up to middle weight. It would obviously be the toughest match of GSP's career. My thought is that he should go for it...if he has a death wish. I mean, I consider them pretty evenly matched as far as talent and fighting ability...but Silva is a much stronger, more powerful man. I think Silva would hurt GSP mainly because you don't see Georges knock people out with a single strike. He is methodical, and breaks them down piece by piece...devastating, and effective, but lacking that single strike killing power. Silva can take a guy's head off with a single strike easily enough. His striking is as accurate as GSP's. He has a reach advantage, a strength advantage, the advantage in the clinch, and although Silva is a Muay Thai fighter, he has a black belt in BJJ under Noguiera. It would be the best fight of his career, but probably the worst professional decision he could make. I would love to see it happen!

3. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Great analysis Matt!
    you are right, it is in GSP's best interest not to fight Silva, it would be nice it this ever happens.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have to make a correction on my post. To my knowledge, GSP has not fought a middleweight fight. It was Silva who stepped up to light heavyweight. But GSP could move up a weight class if he wanted to. Don't know that he would want to just to take a whoopin'. He's kinda in the same boat as Silva as far as running out of competition in his own weight class. Who else is there? For GSP, it is Thiago Alvez. If he wins that fight, I don't see any other welterweight who can pose a threat to him.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Id give it to Silva based on his experience alone. In his Pride days he kicked butt then came over to the UFC and dominated some of the higest ranked guys. His performance over Henderson is what I think puts him over the top.

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He got caught in some subs when he was in Pride.I think he was only 3-2 in Pride.I think Henderson has the tools to beat him and he's goin to after he beats the crap out of Bisping.

I vote for Fedor.The dude is 29-1 and that 1 loss was from an illegal elbow that caused the Dr stoppage.The only reason it was called a loss was because it was a tournament format and there had to be someone to continue to the next round

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Yeah, Silva took a few beatings but the diversity of fighters in that organization at that time was much tougher than the majority of fighter in the UFC. All his training with BTT back in the day has alot to do with how good he is now.

If we are including everyone in the game today then yeah Id say Fedor too. Hands down. Best of all time though would have to be Master Rickson Gracie (in my opinion).

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have said Rickson Gracie 10 years ago but not now.Gracie JJ is amazing but its not mma

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Uh-oh...I smell a debate coming on....:roll_eyes:. As a student, I know that there is a big difference in tournament BJJ and self defense BJJ. I personally believe that BJJ is so effective an art that it cannot help but to continuously evolve...while the techniques that the Gracies used in the early days might not work today as a whole, most BJJ used today in MMA is very basic stuff i.e. Kimura, Arm Bar, etc...Look at guys like Demian Maia...he dominated Ed Herman with some fluent transitions that ended in a nice but basic triangle choke.

10. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Short Fuse is a Team Quest dude.Quest fighters can barely defend a rear naked choke.Maia is sweet too.He's prolly the sweetest BJJ in MMA.But I'm gonna make an example.
    Vinny Maghaeles is one of the most decorated BJJ guys in the world but he just can't make the transition(Kicks,punches,greco..etc..) into mma
    As a student I love BJJ but its a different animal now

Speaking of BJJ did you see Josh Neer and Joe Lauzon's emaculate BJJ game saturday night.I was very impressed

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I downloaded the whole card last night but didnt get to see it yet. I think that Joe Lauzon is one of most under rated guys in the UFC now. Vinny M is one of those guys that needs time to develope good stand up. He got crushed in the ultimate finale by a guy with mediocre skill. One BJJ guy who has a really good all around game in my opinion is Kenny Florian. I think that he should be next in line for the belt.

12. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't wait to see Diego at 155.And I can't wait to see Maia vs Sonnen.We'll see how good Maia is against a guy he can't take down.I think Sonnen is top 10 for sure.He completely manhandled Filho.

PS....Nick Diaz vs Frank Shamrock in april on Strikeforce!!!!!I'm pumped about this fight!

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I think Danna already has it in the works.... It will be this years ending event or next years, this sport has grown too fast and has to much hype for it not to happen. It's gonna be a battle between who drops weight or who gains weight but it's gonna happen and mark my words it's gonna end by the second round, either GSP by ground and pound or Silva by TKO whether it be by ground and pound or more than likely a KO! I see silva winning by KO, If Matt Serra can hit that "glass jaw", so can Silva regardless who changes weight.

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I agree to a certain extant, I think if Filho changed his game a little bit he would be a champ for a while. Sonnen cant take a punch like most champions IMO, just like GSP will soon fall to a striker

15. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Id have to say Silva.

16. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well...as long as were talking about Sonnen...I guess we'd better figure in Demian Maia:smile2:...seriously though, I dont think that Silva would be in any trouble during GSP's ground and pound. Silva withstood Dan Henderson's ground and pound and outclassed him.

17. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    GSP has retard strength and i think would still be the stronger fighter at MW.GSP would dance around throw a few jabs round one, act like hes going to stand with him then take him down in round 2 and ground in pound a win.If GSP makes it to the 2nd round he wins...you heard it here first!

18. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If you're betting, i'll take it!:wink: Alves could score a KO at anytime in the fight so long as he keeps it standing...

19. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    GSP WONT KEEP IT STANDING THOUGH, BUT YOUR RIGHT ALVES DOES HAVE A PUNCHERS CHANCE